Lead Developer - Java Spring
Job ID 2021-2575
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
This position will be responsible for designing, developing and maintaining complex web applications.
The successful candidate will demonstrate ability to own all design & development aspects of a full implementation, and be able to take the product from concept to production through following high level tasks: analysis of requirements to drive further clarification; propose, define and document sound design/refactoring options & alternatives; create sound pre-development estimates and assign tasks to other developers; develop application code and unit tests; integrate with other WebMD applications as necessary; deliver integrated application components to Testing and Quality Assurance team and support delivery to Production environment.
Individual must be a self-starter with the ability to handle a number of simultaneous projects, demonstrate a sense of urgency and ownership to drive projects to completion, and be successful in a collaborative environment. The candidate must be organized, detail oriented and be able to prioritize tasks. She/he will help ensure that application code is of high quality by participating in/leading code reviews, writing automated test harnesses, assist in the deployment of code onto the pre-production & production environments and help in mentoring junior staff.
Strong analytical and problem solving skills, high level of technical competency & leadership, attention to detail and the ability to communicate effectively (written & verbal) are also critical success factors for this role.
Relevant job functions & position requirements include:
- Design complex, high traffic web-based applications using Object-oriented design and patterns
- Experience with frameworks Spring MVC, Spring Batch, Spring Boot, Spring Data, etc.
- Experience developing Node.js and Vue.js applications is preferred
- Ability to work with Postgres and MongoDB databases – knowledge of database programming using PL/SQL and other NoSQL databases is highly desired
- Familiarity with Functional Programming and Microservice Architecture is desirable
- Familiarity with message queue such as Kafka and Event Driven Architecture is desirable
- Familiarity with Docker & Kubernetes is desirable
- Experience working with version control system Git or similar
- Working knowledge of defect tracking and configuration management systems - preferably, JIRA and Confluence
- Develop detailed work breakdown structure for analysis, design, development and deployment activities
- Attention to detail including – maintaining issues lists and timely status reporting
- Build applications deployed on Tomcat and Nginx
- Ability to perform application trouble-shooting and lead root-cause analysis
- Ability to identify performance bottlenecks and come up with ways to address those issues
What's in It for You
Besides a competitive compensation package, you'll be working with a great group of technologists interested in always finding the right tool for the job in a culture that encourages innovation. If you're ready to take on some new technical challenges at a well-respected company, we'd love to hear from you.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Information Technology related or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of disciplined application design and development experience, preferably in the Internet or software industry
- Demonstrated strong development skills in Java SE
- Experience with designing and developing web-based applications for moderate to high traffic sites – experience at an internet company highly desirable
- Hands-on experience using technologies like Spring MVC/Spring Batch/Spring Boot, and Rest API are preferred
- Experience developing unit and integration tests using Junit, Spock, and Spring Testing framework
- Experience setting up Apache web server and Tomcat on Windows and Linux systems
- Familiarity with Linux systems and using shell commands
- Experience with application packaging and deployment tools – e.g., Maven, Gradle.
- Prior responsibilities that required communication and coordination across different groups: e.g., Engineering, QA, Operations and Project Management. History of increasing responsibilities is desirable.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, both verbal and written.
... and if you have the following, even better!
- Prior Design and Development experience using Service Oriented and Microservice Architectures
· Front-end development experience with Node.js/React/Angular/Vue.js