Associate Editor, Medical / Content Production Editor
Job ID 2021-3146
Frontline Medical Communications, Inc., a division of Medscape, is one of the healthcare industry's largest medical communications companies and a leader in digital, print, and live events. The Company leads in HCP-level targeting and is ranked 1st in combined web and print engagements. With MDedge?, our state-of-the-art integrated web portal, and audited email database, FMC meets the marketing challenges of our clients with superior reach, optimal sponsorship opportunities, and flexible advertising programs. FMC delivers award-winning, indexed, clinical reviews; practice and policy information; and medical news daily from on-site reporting at major medical meetings, many in collaboration with notable societies, medical associations, and opinion leaders. FMC produces live events, digital click-for-credit, and CME in affiliation with Global Academy for Medical Education, LLC and Hemedicus.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
Standards of the Position:
- Content creation: Processes manuscript submissions, directs peer-review process, maintains manuscript and reviewer databases, corresponds and instructs authors. Writes short and online-only articles, and issue-specific content. Engages authors to submit figures in appropriate format for publication; obtains approval from art department on quality.
- Quality control: Edits, copy edits, fact checks, formats, proofreads publications’ content to ensure accuracy, clarity, and readability and adherence to established content standards and styles; corresponds with authors to obtain clarification and approval. Evaluates manuscript submissions. Traffics materials; inputs and checks corrections.
- Digital: Coordinates with Editor ways to incorporate digital content into web sites, e-Newsletters, social media to educate the reader, based on metrics reports and trends; QCs, tests and debugs new features and content updates.
- Schedule: Delivers completed work on time on a continual basis; coordinates and prioritizes assignments from multiple pubs; works with columnists to reinforce their due dates
- Technical competence: Proficient in MS Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat & InCopy/InDesign, and Internet use on mobile, desktop, tablet. Mastery of proprietary content management systems for production, tagging for styles and categories, copy fitting, corrections. Database maintenance (for example, Editorial Manager, Scholar One) a plus.
- Other: Maintains freelance and editorial board lists; manages misc. editorial, such as annual reviewer thank you, masthead page revisions, etc. May attend annual medical meetings.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications, or a related field; BS in biology, public health and other health-related majors or equivalent relevant exp
- Experience: 1+ years in medical publishing/health care communications or digital journalism or 3+ years in nonmedical publishing with an understanding of health and medicine
- Skills: Accurately edit and proofread technical content, using style guides; web-savvy/digital acumen; verbal and written communication; organization, planning, and time-management to meet tight deadlines; computer proficiency; knowledge of AMA style a plus.
- Abilities: Detail oriented, team player, learn new skills & technologies quickly, multi-task/problem solve; interpersonal skills. Travel may be required.
- Specialized knowledge: Implements commonly used editing and journalistic concepts, practices, and procedures; comfortable communicating with highly educated readers; relies on limited experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals; facility with Adobe InCopy a plus.