Development Construction Manager - Houston Corporate
Founded in 2001, Venterra Realty owns and manages more than 65 communities and over 18,000 apartment units across 12 major US cities that provide housing to over 36,000 people and 11,000 pets. The organization has completed almost $7.0 billion in real estate transactions and currently manages a portfolio of multi-family real estate assets valued at approximately $3.5 billion. Venterra is committed to improving the lives of its residents by delivering industry-leading customer experience. Find out more about Venterra Realty and its award-winning company culture at Venterra.com.
We’re honored to have received the following workplace recognitions:
- 2021 Fortune Best Workplaces for Millennials
- 2020 Fortune Best Workplaces for Women
- 2021, 2020, 2019 & 2018 Great Places to Work Best Workplaces in Texas
- 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, & 2016 Fortune Top 100 Best Medium Workplaces
- 2021 & 2018 Glassdoor Top CEOs
- 2018 Fortune Best Workplaces for Diversity
- 2018 Houston Top Workplaces
- 2021, 2017, & 2016 Glassdoor Best Places to Work
- 50 Most Engaged Workplaces by the Achievers Corporation
- And have more than 95% of our communities recognized as "Top Rated" by ApartmentRatings.com
We are looking for people who:
- Have strong personal values and want to work for a values-based company
- Are ambitious and hardworking with exceptionally high personal standards
- Embrace problem-solving and learning new skills
- Thrive in a rapidly changing and high growth environment
- Are passionate about driving continuous improvements and the use of technology with data to drive business results
Located in Houston, the Construction Manager/Owner Representative will provide support to our Development Team and its efforts in supporting Venterra’s initiatives in the development of multifamily properties.
When utilizing a third-party general contractor, the role of the Construction Manager/Owner Representative consists of representing the Developer/Owner in all construction-related matters. The Construction Manager/Owner Representative interacts directly with the General Contractor on the related scope of work.
The Owner Representative provides information and data reports for assigned projects to Development and Ownership. This person must coordinate with the Development team in the administration of contracts, purchase orders, etc. as well as the scope of work to be performed on assigned projects. They must ensure the production quality of the development through delegation and coordination with consultants and the general contractor.
The ideal candidate will be able to communicate and organize the project as well as be able to motivate to produce a quality product, within the budget and on schedule. They must be able to communicate and interpret the goals of the project in all aspects of the construction process. They must also be able to anticipate and resolve issues both before they arise and when they present during construction.
As a Development Construction Manager with Venterra, you will act as the Owner's Representative, manage all activities associated with the construction of multifamily projects while adhering to the project schedule, budget, lender, and/or ownership (partner) requirements.
- Assist with pre-construction activities associated with the preparation for the construction of Multi-family properties
- Ability to read, thoroughly understand and explain complex construction drawings
- Ability to analyze building codes, specifications, and government regulations
- Assist in design coordination as well as review pricing and consultant/construction contracts
- Direct activities of architects/engineers
- Assist with scope, schedule, budget, and overall success of multiple projects
- Understanding of complex construction project-related issues, disputes, and disagreements
- Assist the Development team in budget preparation, material selection cost estimating, construction contracts, and cost monitoring
- Maintain client relationships and assist in managing conflict resolution
- Operate independently on activities relevant to the projects
- Monitor and review contractors' work as it relates to budget, schedule, quality, and owner's program
- Provide information and analysis of project issues to the Development team
- Prepare construction status update reports for the Development Team and/or Ownership to include: budget, schedule, process purchase orders, and invoices, and maintain files for due diligence
- Thorough understanding of construction means and methods, scheduling, and the ability to evaluate and review impacts to critical path for each project
- Administer change order procedures and contractor progress payments
- Prepare construction updates for the Development Team and/or Ownership
- Coordinate and track all Vendor RFP's
- Control project documentation and historical data regarding construction
- Maintain and monitor the progress of punch lists
- Encourage a safe working environment and review all required OSHA and Worker's Compensation safety and accident reports with the General Contractor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, building construction, civil engineering, architecture, or related field
- 5 years of experience in wood-framed multifamily construction
- Demonstrates leadership skills, honesty, and integrity
- Excellent attention to details and accuracy
- Possess a strong sense of ownership, sense of urgency, and prudent cost management
- Excellent team management and communication skills
- Exercises good judgment and problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle and support multiple projects concurrently
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- High degree in professionalism and demeanor
- High proficiency in MS Excel and MS Word to meet reporting, correspondence, and budgeting needs as defined above
- Competitive Base Salary and performance bonus
- A robust package of Health (Medical (PPO), Dental, Vision), 401k matching, paid vacation benefits and employer-paid Short Term Disability, among other things
- Educational Assistance / Reimbursement to support your drive to learn
- Opportunity to grow within the acquisitions/growth teams, operations, and corporate office
- Better Living program where you are incentivized to reach personal goals or participate in company-wide challenges
- Quarterly Lifelong Learning Challenges to support your professional growth in ways that are meaningful to you
- 8 paid hours per year of Volunteer Time Off to serve the organization(s) of your choice
Know someone who would be perfect for a role with us? Refer them to us and you could be $500 richer!
COVID-19 has created some big changes in all of our daily lives, and we’ve made a number of significant changes to our operations, but at the end of the day, we’re still in the people business, and people will always deserve an amazing place to call home. So, while the way we’re doing business has changed, we’re still hiring across the Venterra portfolio!