At Torrid we're committed to cultivating a welcoming, inclusive and diverse culture driven by a focus on open dialogue, empowerment, recruiting, training, development and retention. We believe inclusion of diverse backgrounds and perspectives is fundamental to our success.
Torrid is looking for Merchant to help drive our business. In this role, you will be responsible for achieving sales, gross margin, and profit goals of a specific business through the selection, pricing, and promotion of merchandise, and by utilizing appropriate merchandising and management techniques to maximize the company’s return on inventory investment. Develops and drives strategy, analysis and appropriate reaction to sales trend in order to maximize business.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage a high volume, complex or multi-department area for omni business.
- Makes focused decisions based on brand integrity and company values.
- Set priorities, foster cohesion, and provide motivation to cross-functional teams.
- Assess the competition with respect to financial condition, trends, marketing, and product strategy; react accordingly to ensure market leadership.
- Develop and communicate a conceptual assortment plan for department needs that tie to financial expectations (style assortment, key item needs, retails, IMU’s, AURs).
- Performs research analysis of plus size market and identifies trends and opportunities that can be applied to the core customer, identifies key opportunities.
- Understand core customer to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Effectively manage the selection of merchandise in a timely manner.
- Partner with Planning & Allocation to ensure the appropriate financial strategies and distribution to maximize sales, margin, and turn of the business.
- Develop and execute seasonal merchandise plans and pricing strategies.
- Determine quantities to order by style, size, and color; validate to Line Plan and OTB plan.
- Review the sales plan and make merchandising decisions in partnership with Merchandise Manager.
- Partner with production team to manage flow, timing of deliveries and cost/IMU expectations.
- Attend floor set to ensure optimal in-store setup.
- Validate space with assortment plan to ensure appropriate depth is achieved by store volume (size).
- Communicate with Product Management and Design on a recap of best and worst sellers.
- Maximize Web sales, margin and messaging.
- Partner with Merchandise Manager, VP, and marketing to identify product to be advertised.
- Manage, develop and educate direct reports.
- Provides guidance, mentoring/coaching, and feedback on direct reports performance.
What You’ll Need:
- Associates degree or equivalent work experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of progressive experience as a merchant in a specialty store environment
- A proven track record developing and building an apparel business
- Experience in developing, preparing, and implementing tactical plans in support of strategic company goals
- Demonstrated knowledge and proven ability to identify trends and business opportunities
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Possess a clear understanding of retail financial measurements and how to impact them.
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Solid computer skills in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Illustrates a dedication to meeting requirements of internal and external customers, responding to all customer requests promptly and thoroughly
- Strong communication skills including the ability to work in a team environment, give honest, direct feedback and is a solid verbal and written communicator
What You'll Get:
Our company participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is a program that electronically confirms a candidate’s eligibility to work in the United States after completing the Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9). The information provided on the Form I-9 is compared to the records contained in the Social Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) databases. This helps employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees.
E-Verify Poster: https://e-verify.uscis.gov/web/media/resourcesContents/E-Verify_Participation_Poster_ES.pdf
Eligibility to Work Poster (English): https://www.e-verify.gov/sites/default/files/IER_RightToWorkPoster.pdf
Eligibility to Work Poster (Spanish): https://www.e-verify.gov/sites/default/files/everify/posters/IER_RighttoWorkPosterES.pdf
California Consumer Privacy Act Applicant Notice (CCPA): https://careers.jobvite.com/torrid/Applicant-CCPA-Notice.pdf
EEO Poster: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf