Merchant / Buyer - Intimates
Work remotely temporarily due to COVID-19
Join the fastest growing plus-size retailer in the nation! Torrid is looking for Merchant to help drive our apparel business. In this role, you will be responsible for achieving sales, gross margin, and profit goals of a specific business through the selection, pricing, and promotion of merchandise, and by utilizing appropriate merchandising and management techniques to maximize the company’s return on inventory investment. Develops and drives strategy, analysis and appropriate reaction to the sales trend in order to maximize business.
What You'll Do:
- Makes focused decisions based on brand integrity and company values.
- Set priorities, foster cohesion, and motivates cross-functional teams.
- Assess the competition with respect to the financial condition, trends, marketing, and product strategy; react accordingly to ensure market leadership.
- Develop and communicate a conceptual assortment plan for department needs that tie to financial expectations (style assortment, key item needs, retails, IMU’s, AURs).
- Performs research analysis of the plus-size market and identifies trends and opportunities that can be applied to the core customer, identifies key opportunities.
- Understand the core customer to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Effectively manage the selection of merchandise in a timely manner.
- Partner with Planning & Allocation to ensure the appropriate financial strategies and distribution to maximize sales, margin, and turn of the business.
- Develop and execute seasonal merchandise plans and pricing strategies.
- Review the sales plan and make merchandising decisions in partnership with Merchandise Manager.
- Partner with the production team to manage flow, the timing of deliveries and cost/IMU expectations.
- Validate space with assortment plan to ensure appropriate depth is achieved by store volume (size).
- Maximize Web sales, margin and messaging.
- Manage, develop and educate direct reports.
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of progressive experience as a merchant in a specialty store environment.
- A proven track record developing and building an apparel business.
- Experience in developing, preparing, and implementing tactical plans in support of strategic company goals
- Demonstrated knowledge and proven ability to identify trends and business opportunities
- Possess a clear understanding of retail financial measurements and how to impact them.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Solid computer skills in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Illustrates a dedication to meeting requirements of internal and external customers, responding to all customer requests promptly and thoroughly
- Strong communication skills including the ability to work in a team environment, give honest, direct feedback and is a solid verbal and written communicator
- Meets deadlines, prioritizes appropriately, copes well with change, and maintains composure under pressure
- Is accountable for results approaches obstacles proactively and looks for ways to resolve problems and issues
What You'll Get:
- Our open floor plan allows for a creative, collaborative and fun environment.
- A competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401k and paid time off.
- Additional perks to consider are generous employee discount, access to employee-only sales, café, masseuse, gym, fitness and yoga classes, basketball court, and more.
Our company participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is a program that electronically confirms a candidate’s eligibility to work in the United States after completing the Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9). The information provided on the Form I-9 is compared to the records contained in the Social Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) databases. This helps employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees.
E-Verify Poster: https://e-verify.uscis.gov/web/media/resourcesContents/E-Verify_Participation_Poster_ES.pdf
Eligibility to Work Poster (English): https://www.e-verify.gov/sites/default/files/IER_RightToWorkPoster.pdf
Eligibility to Work Poster (Spanish): https://www.e-verify.gov/sites/default/files/everify/posters/IER_RighttoWorkPosterES.pdf
California Consumer Privacy Act Applicant Notice (CCPA): https://careers.jobvite.com/hottopic/torrid/Applicant-CCPA-Notice.pdf
EEO Poster: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf