Director of Infrastructure
This role is responsible for defining IT infrastructure strategy, direction, architecture, standards and management to include disaster recovery, security, systems, servers, monitoring, performance, networks and storage. This role must ensure reliable 24x7 operations and be a champion for our journey to Cloud (specifically AWS) and DevOps. This position will act as a liaison between IT Operations and other functions within IT (Application Development, Data Engineering) and outside IT (InfoSec, other business units as needed). This is a visible, strategic role tasked with building and maintaining a best in class IT Operations function that operates with a Cloud-first and DevOps mindset.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assess the IT infrastructure and operations organization (people, process, and technology) to determine best course of journey towards Cloud, specifically, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Lead the IT infrastructure and operations organization towards a primarily Cloud/AWS based operations
- Assess the current deployment process to identify bottlenecks and implement solutions towards a continuous deployment and continuous integration (CI/CD). Evangelize, implement, and manage a robust DevOps function.
- Implement and manage processes and controls that assure maximum uptime and quick service to the user community for both on-prem and Cloud workloads
- Management and continual improvement of Cloud Operations, DevOps, and On-prem IT infrastructure/operations.
- Partner with InfoSec to deliver on key information security and IT risk related initiatives. Furthermore, ensure compliance to patching and vulnerability policies established within the organization.
- Manage third party vendor relationships and hold them accountable for delivery of outsourced functions, specifically, Service Desk and Network Operations
- Develop and implement a robust Disaster Recovery strategy for critical systems and infrastructure.
- Assess single points of failure in infrastructure and recommend actions as appropriate.
- Oversee the monitoring, maintenance, upgrade and administration of all IT systems, to include applications, servers, storage, databases, desktops/laptops, and mobile devices.
- Establish service level agreements (SLAs) and operating level agreements in alignment with company objectives and customer needs.
- Design, implement, deploy and manage systems/applications monitoring processes and tools to proactively identify and resolve problems within the company computing environment.
- Negotiate and manage contracts with key service providers to ensure service levels are met. Furthermore, negotiate and manage enterprise contracts, specifically, AWS
- Establish standardized processes and key operational metrics based upon ITIL to effectively manage the performance of the Operations organization. This includes availability and performance of applications and servers, service desk ticket management, hardware, lifecycle management, license etc.
- Demonstrated experience transforming IT infrastructure and moving an organization toward a mature cloud-based (AWS) service delivery model.
- Proven experience in IT infrastructure management in a complex, customer-facing eCommerce environment with significant reliability and uptime requirements.
- Experience with managing on-prem workloads as well as migrating workloads to Cloud, specifically AWS while optimizing the cost of Cloud based workloads.
- Ability to continue to optimize the cost of Cloud based workloads once they are moved to AWS as part of overall infrastructure cost optimization
- Possess a deep experience in DevOps with proven results enabling continuous deployment and continuous integration (CI/CD)
- Possess some experience and background in infrastructure architecture, systems administration, network administration and storage administration.
- Extensive experience with instrumentation, enterprise monitoring and reporting tools.
- Demonstrates the business and financial acumen necessary to develop and present data-based ideas and solutions in a clear, concise, organized manner.
- Knowledgeable across a broad set of infrastructure platforms (commodity hardware, windows OS, Linux OS, etc)
- Experience leading, directing, and mentoring IT professionals.
- Solid leadership skills in leading an IT infrastructure and operations organizations towards Cloud-first operations and DevOps mindset
- Good organization change management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities concurrently.
- Strong analytical capability and excellent verbal and written communication skills.