Staff Applications Failure Analysis Engineer
Position: Staff Applications Failure Analysis Engineer
Work Location: San Jose, CA
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Visit customers as necessary to resolve customer satisfaction issues arising from any quality problems and/or customers' perceptions about PI quality. Frequent (monthly) travel to China is required. Extended presence (weeks) in China may be required when quality actions require close customer contact.
- Provide support to Power Integrations customers in China on quality problem resolution to ensure customer satisfaction. This person will act as a liaison between the factory and the customers on matters of resolving customers’ production and field quality problems, thereby promoting PI’s quality value.
- Debugging and functionality verification of AC/DC switching power supply modules in various topologies using Power Integration’s products will be an essential part of the job responsibility.
- Perform fault isolation and defect analysis/ characterization on power IC’s to identify root causes of product failures in reliability test, production test, and/or power supply applications.
- Provide comprehensive technical reports to customers on findings from product/power supply failure investigations. Prepare reports/presentations in English and Chinese (as needed) for customers.
- Advise internal and external customers regarding corrective actions based on the results of the analysis.
Experience & Requirements:
- Fluent verbal, read, and written communication skills in Mandarin is a plus.
- Good English speaking, reading and technical writing skill is required.
- Must have direct experience in customer interface on resolution of customer quality problems.
- At least 8 years of engineering experience in Switch-mode Power Supply applications, and analog, and/or mixed signal integrated circuit devices.
- Experience in technical problem solving of switch mode power converters.
- Experience in failure analysis of power semiconductors, analog, and/or mixed signal IC devices.
- Hands-on experience in system level bench test, failure analysis, and electrical fault isolation and defect characterization tools and techniques such as the following: Oscilloscopes, Waveform Analyzer, EMI Analyzer, ESD Simulator, ATE, curve trace, micro-probing, light emission microscopy, OBIRCH, liquid crystal, CSAM, XRAY, FIB, SEM and deprocessing techniques.
- In-depth understanding of transformer design, digital and analog circuits, device physics and IC fabrication processes.
- Ability to interpret system level schematics, the IC level schematics, and IC layout of CMOS and bipolar devices is required.
- BS. degree in electrical engineering or equivalent technical discipline with minimum 8 years’ experience.
- MSEE or equivalent discipline with 6 years’ working experience is preferred.