Senior Engineering Manager, Front End
New York Public Radio is seeking a seasoned Senior Engineering Manager to manage our client-side browser-based applications using creative and pragmatic technology solutions.
You will ensure that our technical infrastructure and platforms keep apace of industry trends, are performed, and uphold our high standards for maintainability.
You will focus on technical leadership, defining patterns and operational guidelines within your domain, as well as independently scoping, designing, and delivering solutions for complex challenges or research projects. While designing for scale and reliability, you will anticipate technical challenges, exploring alternatives and their trade-offs thoroughly, facilitate technical discussions, and ensure the completeness and effectiveness of our client-side testing, instrumentation, and monitoring.
- Extensive production experience building, debugging, and maintaining SPAs built with frameworks such as Ember, React, or Vue
- Experience with TDD
- High level of ability to translate designs into well-crafted SASS
- Familiar with Accessibility best practices in client-side applications, including Aria properties and semantic markup
- Familiar with factors affecting client-side performance and able to deliver applications with low time to first paint and time to interactive metrics
- Demonstrable senior-level knowledge of data structures, principles of software engineering, and common architectural patterns
- Experience mentoring other engineers, fostering knowledge-sharing, and performing high-quality code reviews
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Experience developing and working with design systems
- A history of creatively solving problems and unblocking your colleagues
- Experience working within and refining agile processes.
All positions at NYPR require:
- The intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively with the senior leadership team, colleagues, staff and external partners and provide motivation at all levels of an organization
- Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds
- Use of a computer, telephone and other office and/or broadcast
- Ability to communicate effectively through a variety of methods including but not limited to; email, web-based applications for internal and external communications
- Affinity for New York Public Radio; WNYC and/or WQXR content and mission a plus
- Compliance with WNYC/WQXR policies and guidelines
- Ability to work extended hours as needed
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
New York Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life.