Senior Producer, The Takeaway
Senior Producer, The Takeaway
New York Public Radio is looking for an ambitious, energetic journalist and a thoughtful, experienced manager to help lead its daily national news and conversation show, The Takeaway. Regularly producing segments and closely managing team members, the Senior Producer oversees the show’s day-to-day production including show development, scripting, guest booking, and audio production. The Senior Producer connects the core production team and the show’s host and helps to maintain the show’s high editorial standards. The Senior Producer partners closely with the Planning Editor, Host / Managing Editor and the show’s Executive Producer to set both overall editorial/ strategic direction and guide day-to-day content production to produce high impact, distinct content across broadcast and digital platforms.
Carried on more than 300 public radio stations across the country and listened to by thousands more on digital platforms, The Takeaway offers a unique perspective on news, politics, culture, and society.
The successful candidate has stellar journalistic judgment, a deep understanding of the editorial and production needs of a daily broadcast, is an experienced audio journalist with strong narrative and writing skills, has a reservoir of exciting ideas, is enthusiastic about daily production, and has the managerial and communication skills to lead a diverse and talented team.
The Senior Producer shares responsibility for:
- Developing short and long term plans for stories, segments, and guests.
- Eliciting pitches and perspectives from team members.
- Maintaining high editorial standards and alignment between the show’s producers and its host through ongoing communication and clear feedback
- Providing overall coaching, feedback, and development to the producing team to establish a team culture of excellence, inclusion, and accountability.
- Coordinating with the show’s producing team, its morning production team, and its host to ensure that all elements of the show are in place.
- Coordinating producer schedules and needed backfill to ensure that the show always has adequate day-to-day coverage.
- Partnering with the Executive Producer, Host / Managing Editor and other show leaders to set and meet long-term editorial, operational, and audience goals.
- Partnering with the Planning Editor and other show leadership to coordinate long-term editorial projects and specials.
- Building a diverse and inclusive producing team by recruiting, hiring, onboarding and retaining the talent needed in each role to execute on the show’s vision.
- Participating as a leader at both WNYC and WNYC Studios in org-wide editorial, operational, and cultural initiatives.
The Takeaway seeks to serve the broad diversity of America with empathy, rigor, and joy. If you are passionate about public media, the show and its mission, and the organization’s approach to journalism resonates with you, we want to hear from you!
- At least 5 years of experience in a senior role producing a high metabolism news show.
- At least 2 years of effectively building and managing a team producing high quality journalism.
- Demonstrated success in daily journalism.
- Experience producing journalism that engages audiences on multiple platforms.
- Working knowledge of standard broadcast values and production protocols.
- A love of daily new challenges, and the ability to thrive in a quickly-changing environment.
- An understanding of and dedication to the values of public media, .
- An understanding of the national media environment.
- The ability to make challenging journalistic decisions quickly.
- A dedication to the complex, important work of finding truth and the humility and discipline to do it well.
- A desire to identify and solve problems or grasp opportunities proactively.
- A love of collaborative work, and the ability to collaborate productively with people of diverse backgrounds and expertise.
- An understanding of, and dedication to, the hard work of people and systems management.
Additional Role Information
This is a full-time role with competitive compensation and eligibility for full benefits including excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, and generous paid time off including holidays, vacation, personal time, sick time and parental leave.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this role can be temporarily performed remotely depending upon the preference of the new employee. However, this position is not a permanent remote position and is part of the New York City staff, and may be expected to work fully from the New York office sometime soon.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
New York Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continuously strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and elevate inclusive practices to develop and support a more engaged and productive workforce. Our journalism and operations in the service of that journalism benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds, at all levels of the organization. Diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving the goal of equal employment opportunity for all. Applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions without regard to mental or physical disability, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, employment status or any protected federal, state or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.