Temporary, Senior Producer, Music @ WQXR
WQXR is seeking an endlessly curious and dynamic Senior Producer for a short-run podcast series. The Senior Producer will have excellent writing skills and experience in long-form narrative storytelling and will join a staff that aims to impact and change the landscape of classical music.
This podcast team is taking a deeper look at the structure of Classical Music here in the US, specifically where it intersects with race, to explore pillars that have allowed its performers, composers and audiences to remain fundamentally the same for centuries.
The successful candidate will be passionate about podcast, great writing and uncovering new and parallel histories in classical music. They should be inspired by the challenge of creating new experiences for diverse audiences through compelling storytelling.
A wide experience in radio/podcasting and a deep knowledge of creative trends in the medium are a must, along with broad intellectual interests and superb organization.
This is a full-time, contract position based in NYC for a 12 month period that will report to the Executive Producer.
- Oversee the editorial planning of a short run weekly podcast in collaboration with the Executive Producer and a team of writers and producers
- With staff and technical director, imagine and execute sound design concepts.
- Edit producers' work on interviews, stories, and other content as needed
- Perform any and all production tasks as needed, including writing, research, editing, recording, show mixing, booking, and logistics.
- Must be able to travel as required for reporting and recording.
- Work on other special projects and duties as assigned.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- An expertise in classical music is not required but an endless curiosity where race and classical music intersect is a requirement.
- At least five years experience writing and editing specifically for audio within a fast-paced, idea-driven media environment.
- Five years minimum journalism, print and/or broadcast experience preferred
- Fluency in audio editing with ProTools, and knowledge of DAVID, CMS, and other systems for broadcast and digital delivery of audio
- Superb organizational skills, attention to detail, and time-management
- Excellent communication skills
- Requires ability to work in a group environment, give and take direction
- This position requires ability to work extended hours as needed, including some evenings and weekend
- A note introducing yourself
- Your resume
- A work sample you're proud of
- Your definition of the term "classical music"
New York Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life to apply regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation/identify or ability.