Advisor, Health and Safety - Ontario (Mississauga, Ottawa or anywhere in Central Ontario)
Advisor, Health & Safety- Ontario (Mississauga, Ottawa, or anywhere in Central Ontario)
As Kal Tire is continuously improving on a safety journey, we need more expertise in our Health and Safety department. We are looking to hire 2 Advisors, Health & Safety in the Ontario region. The Health & Safety Advisor position based in Ottawa or anywhere in Central Ontario is a Bi-lingual position. The person must be fluent in French.
The Advisor, Health & Safety is responsible and accountable to mentor, guide, teach and coach day to day the first level of Operations Managers and their work teams on the Kal Tire Health and Safety Management System (HSMS) requirements. This role will also be responsible to aid in the identification, development and delivery of corporate wide safety objectives tied to the overarching corporate goals and critical to successful outcomes thus reducing overall risk and losses to all team members and the organization.
• Mentor, guide, teach and coach first level operations managers and team members on health and safety management system (HSMS) requirements, responsibilities, and how to fulfill them.
• Assists managers and team members with implementing health and safety management system (HSMS) requirements.
• Visits all locations as prescribed to measure H&S implementation through area of responsibility, including operational controls, risk management, training and competency, emergency response, incident reporting and investigation, communication and records, inspections, targets and objectives, measuring and monitoring.
• Provide and communicates reports and action plans for all site visits to operational leaders and managers.
• Collaborates with first level operations management and their teams to ensure the H&S focus in their regions remains aligned with corporate objectives.
• Provides technical assistance and advice on the control of workplace hazards.
• Makes recommendations on H&S issues.
• Assists in the assessment of work processes to identify hazards, assess risks and determine appropriate controls.
• Develops and delivers safety training, including presentations and educational materials.
• Ensure implementation of incident notification and reporting process for their area of responsibility.
• Provides guidance to team members in conducting quality incident investigations, including the identification of root causes and appropriate preventative actions.
• Develops incident and hazard alerts.
• Review injury and incident data to identify trends and recommend improvement strategies.
• Research relevant legislation in area of responsibility to determine gaps or opportunities for improvement.
• Provides advice and guidance on addressing compliance orders.
• Participates in regular operational meetings and presents topics as requested.
Injury & Return to Work Program
• Liaises with & supports the Disability Management Team in their efforts, ensuring alignment of messaging & support of injured Team Members in their recovery.
• Guides & supports operations in the management of injuries and in understanding their role in the return-to-work program as well as in injury prevention.
• Plays a consultative role in communicating, implementing, and maintaining the injury management process.
Education and Experience
• Minimum 3 years’ experience working in a full-time safety position.
• A degree or diploma in occupational health and safety from a post-secondary institute and/or Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation.
• Past or current COR auditor certification is an asset.
• Experience in one or more of the following industries: Automotive, Transport, Manufacturing and Mining is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Extensive knowledge of provincial safety legislation – fully competent to access, interpret and apply all relevant Act(s) and Regulations and assess and establish compliance
• Intermediate level in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving and research skills
• Expert knowledge and experience in evaluating regulatory and safety program compliance and overall safety program performance
• Extensive experience in leading incident investigations, performing cause analysis and preparing formal reports of findings and recommendations
• Superior interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Able to develop effective relationships with various internal and external stakeholders
• Able to gain credibility and engage, motivate, and positively influence others
• Able to explain areas for improvement and offer solutions in a collaborative and respectful way
• Required to travel within region 60% of the time.
About Kal Tire
Kal Tire is the largest independently owned tire dealer in Canada with over 250 locations. Our business philosophy centers on exceeding our customers’ expectations and relies on our entrepreneurial team members to provide exceptional customer service.