Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation (MLE) Manager
Job ID 290
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The East Africa Youth Inclusion Program (EAYIP) Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation (MLE) Manager, reporting to and under the guidance of the EAYIP Project Director with dotted line reporting to country level and Heifer HQ MLE teams, will provide overall leadership of the MLE function across the project in both Tanzania and Uganda, and as such, work in close collaboration with respective consortium partners and their Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) leads with the view to developing strong MLE for the project. To this end, the Manager will lead the development of the overall EAYIP MLE framework, provide technical assistance to implement the MLE framework, give advice and training on key aspects of MLE and ensure that key outcomes are properly monitored/tracked, documented, and shared for learning.
Essential Character Traits
Curious, Collaborative, Pragmatic, Values-Oriented, Enthusiastic
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Program Effectiveness (40%)
- Provide leadership to EAYIP M&E Officers in the management of the field resources and project budgets and ensure these are used in compliance with appropriate guidelines
- Provide technical leadership to the review of project framework, plans and indicators to capture performance results and provide effective, accurate and timely monitoring, evaluation and reporting of all project activities.
- Provide leadership and direction on M&E to ensure the project achieves its goals and corresponding objectives and target
- Oversee the implementation of the Performance Monitoring Plan (PMP) to capture project performance and results, including routine service delivery data reporting, baseline and end line assessments, and all monitoring for process and outcome evaluations
- Oversee data flow pattern for the project, to ensure timely data collection and reporting
- Lead efforts to utilize training monitoring systems to track and monitor trainers and participants at training events to facilitate follow-up and recordkeeping
- Accountable for providing technical leadership on strategies to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the project by identifying bottlenecks in completing planned activities and developing plans to minimize such bottlenecks in EAYIP
- Provide technical supervision to the EAYIP Country M&E professionals
- Coordinate all M&E capacity-building activities with project staff, implementing partners and hubs staff
- Accountable for providing overall leadership in monitoring output and outcomes, ensuring strong data analysis, tailoring reports for different stakeholders and disseminating lessons learned
- Accountable for ensuring that monitoring data and information is used in project reviews to meet expectations/objectives (effectiveness) and, whenever possible, improve the performance (efficiency) of the project
- Facilitate Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) strategies to support the use of data and information from the M&E system for real-time decision-making to improve project implementation.
- Strong implementation of the MLE framework in collaboration with M&E staff and key stakeholders
- Provide country team personnel and hubs with key M&E and reporting tools and support them in their use
- Enhance the technical capacity of the EAYIP MLE Officers and hub managers through planned regular mentoring, training and coaching
- Establish M&E workable instruments to gather necessary agricultural commodity value chain matters and monitor their impacts on participating actors
- Tailor reporting to meet the needs of different stakeholders
- Provide recommendations to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the project
- Recommend steps for strategic adjustments and provide follow up on implementation for EAYIP
- 80% of the planned milestones are achieved by the project
B. Project Reporting and Documentation (25%)
- Review regular monthly, quarterly and annually report from the Country Program Manager and support them comply with the requirement of data quality and timeliness.
- Support the Regional Operations Manager in compiling donor and Heifer International (monthly, quarterly and annual) reports and ensure compliance with requirements in terms of data quality and timeliness and ensure these are of the highest standards.
- Provide technical support to the Country teams in documentation of EAYIP success stories and relate project impacts
- Lead results reporting to Mastercard Foundation by providing written documentation on M&E activities and indicator results for progress and annual reports, as appropriate
- Provide technical lead to the EAYIP Country teams in building the capacity of the hub’s management team on documentation and record keeping
- All project progress reports (monthly, quarterly and annually reports) from Country Offices are compliant with expected quality standards and timeliness.
- Lessons learnt from EAYIP documented for dissemination to stakeholders on quarterly basis
- On monthly basis update and maintain a project database at all levels needed as per the MLE framework and ensure compliance with expected quality standards and timeliness
- All hubs have up to date records/data bases
- Successful business models documented before end of project for replication or scale up
- Prepare and consolidate monthly, quarterly, mid-term and annual reports and submitted within the stipulated timeliness
C. Management and Compliance (20%)
- Accountable for supervising and managing all evaluations and operational research for the project including baseline, midterm and end-line assessments
- Ensure high-quality implementation, consistent with Heifer International’s and Mastercard Foundation’s monitoring and evaluation guidelines, protocols, information and reporting systems
- Ensure protection of EAYIP and participant data and confidentiality during EAYIP reviews and evaluation processes
- Provide oversight to EAYIP M&E Officers and partner M&E Officers on data collection and analysis, and to ensure the timely completion of M&E activities
- Regularly review monitoring data and help organize periodic learning days and annual learning summits with country and hub staff to help them identify successes and make decisions about adapting activities and approaches to achieve results.
- Collaborate with the Finance, Operations, and Compliance Unit to help develop a system to track and report cost-related data for each program element to reinforce financial and budgetary strategies and allocations during planning periods
- Ensure compliance with all Heifer International and Mastercard Foundation reporting requirements
- Periodic review of the MLE framework to ensure it is aligned and coordinated with evaluation and research agendas
- Periodic review of the M&E tools include research, evaluation and the overall MLE framework to ensure they capture metrics for project quality deliverables, learning and dissemination
- Ensure that the production of training and education materials reflects information needs identified by the MLE system
- Ensure that information needs are met through the overall MLE framework
- Coordinate project M&E reviews and planning workshops and assist the Country Project teams and hubs in preparing and disseminating relevant reports
- Ensure 100% compliance donor contractual obligations.
- Presenting monthly and quarterly budget status highlighting status of project performance during monthly operational quarterly and annual meetings.
- Implementing and tracking of all the proposed corrective measures to ensure the project is on track within the planned period.
- Enhanced compliance and accountability in implementation of the M&E component of the project achieving 100% compliance.
- Ensure timely detection and correction of project implementation issues.
D. Partnership and Engagement (10%)
- Accountable for knowledge management and sharing with partners
- Lead strategic collaboration activities with implementing partners to learn from project data and adapt interventions as appropriate Develop knowledge management activities, identify lessons learned or successful innovations during the project implementation and other information that could be shared with partners and key stakeholders
E. May perform other job-related duties as assigned. (5%) This will be dependent on the specific duties assigned
Bachelor’s Degree in International Development, Community Development, Rural Development, Project Planning and Management, Quantitative Economics and/or Statistics, or an equivalent with an academic focus on Monitoring and Evaluation plus five (5) years of direct relevant experience in MLE management of large-scale projects.
- Solid MLE experience, gained in working in the development context
- Demonstrated social research experience
- Experience in supporting and monitoring field-based programs in the country
- Proven experience in staff and partner training
- Experience managing research projects across multiple stakeholders
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Innovative, analytical, and solutions-oriented
- A good understanding of and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and the environment, and knowledge of the context in which non-profit organizations operate
- Knowledge of youth workforce development issues, especially in rural communities of the East Africa region
- Good understanding of the different value chains within the agricultural sector
- Knowledge of enterprise development and linkages to poverty alleviation
- Excellent organizational skills, including strong attention to detail
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions to document and disseminate industry information, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and advocate within the industry
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and Internet
- Demonstrated proficiency in English, both oral and written
- Ability to work in a team
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail
- Ability to understand, appreciate and implement Heifer’s Values-Based Holistic Community Development model
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions
- Quantitative and qualitative approaches to evaluation and ability to communicate MLE concepts clearly with leadership, partners, and staff at all levels
- Willingness and ability to assign and review the work of direct reports and to use participatory management skills with junior and senior staff
- Proven team leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in various locations
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively throughout EAYIP project sites in Uganda and Tanzania
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer and focusing for extended periods of time and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines