Program Officer - Livestock Technology and One Health
Job ID 822
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of specially-abled.
The Program Officer – Livestock Technology and One Health will assist in the development and adoption of innovative technologies along the livestock value chain (animal nutrition, animal breeding and genetics, animal health and production management, processing, packaging, and cold chain maintenance). S/he will work with the Resource Mobilization and Program teams to leverage resources to support programmatic activities. S/he will also be responsible for collaborating with the government, related private sector and other development projects to provide further support to livestock enterprises, bring efficiency in the value chain and increase profitability. S/he will work closely with academic and research institutions in research and development and generate new knowledge in all domains of livestock development.
RESPONSIBILIIES AND DELIVERABLES: (including approximate percentage effort)
Innovation and application of technology in livestock value chain (60%):
- Work closely with Signature Program teams to execute Livestock Technology strategy along the livestock value chain (not limited to production only).
- Implement operational guidelines on livestock technology for livestock value chain programs/projects.
- Provide inputs as needed in program/project development.
- Build the capacity of staff, project partners, Community Agro-Vet Entrepreneurs (CAVEs)/technicians, cooperatives, and farmers to improve livestock value chain activities, along with follow-up and backstopping.
- Collaborate with appropriate technical institutions/technical partners for efficiency in capacity building.
- Support in generating new knowledge in all domains of livestock value chains and its dissemination to wider audience.
- Conduct field level research, studies, trials, and farmer field schools to generate new ideas.
- Participate in developing a system for wider dissemination and scaling up of innovation.
- Promote climate smart livestock production practices in the Signature Programs.
Resource Mobilization Support (20%):
Collaborate with internal team and external stakeholders to bring resources for projects and programs:
- Bring in resources for the projects and program as appropriate and specific to various contexts through Heifer books or through Catalytic Leverage Fund (CaLF), specifically for livestock production and value chain development.
- Reinforce relationships with government, private sector and other institutions to bring resources in various forms, e.g., philanthropic funds from line agencies, investments from banks and MFIs.
- Establish and/or reinforce relationships with private sector in production input/services (feed, vaccines, pharmaceuticals, insurance, seed animals, etc.) and postproduction (transport, dairy, meat companies, etc.) and connect them with farmers and co-ops.
- Collaborate with other development partners to supplement/complement Heifer initiatives.
- Explore possible collaborations and new partnership development with like-minded organizations such as universities, government, and non-government agencies.
One Health (15%):
Support implementation of the One Health strategy
- Assist in developing tools and techniques to identify One Health core competencies at the Signature Program level.
- Plan and implement One Health strategies and programs at the local level with an emphasis on zoonoses and biosecurity.
- Participate in the design/development/delivery of training and contents based on the required competencies.
- Provide regular follow up, monitoring and technical support to strengthen One Health strategies at the field level.
- Assist with internal and external communication and discussions related to One Health.
May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university or equivalent in veterinary/animal science, plus at least 3 years specifically on poultry and goat value chains.
- Demonstrated experience in community mobilization, social capital development, institutional development, capacity building, training, smallholder farmers/rural SMEs/co-ops, and base of the pyramid consumers
- Strong interpersonal and people management skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative while also having strong team-building skills
- Fluent in Hindi and English (both spoken and written); Oria and/or Telugu language is a plus
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent leadership qualities
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft office preferred), and internet
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail
- Good team player with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule
- Willingness to extensively travel to rural areas
- Able to effectively promote Heifer’s mission values, and objectives
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and to gender equity