Forensic Toxicology Responsible Person/Clinical Chemist
Forensic Toxicology - London
The Forensic Toxicology Clinical Chemist and Responsible Person will be responsible for providing Technical & Scientific Expertise in the discipline of Forensic Toxicology thereby allowing for dedicated & national focus on science and technology issues, common standards and discipline-specific planning. This role is accountable for the goodness of Forensic Toxicology by developing solutions, managing initiatives and continuously improving Forensic Toxicology to support the achievement of Dynacare’s Vision, Mission, Strategic and Operational objectives in accordance with the Dynacare values.
This Forensic Toxicology Clinical Chemist / Responsible Person role will assume professional and educational responsibility for the day-to-day scientific leadership of the Forensic Toxicology Laboratories in London, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta (HHS certified laboratories).
You will contribute by:
- Strategically plan and identify for Forensic Toxicology the provision of leading-edge technology, equipment platforms, automation solutions, Quality Assurance, and Regulatory and Compliance needs
- Provide advice on Forensic Toxicology products and services
- Provide Clinical and Quality Assurance advice
- Provide Forensic Toxicology technical, clinical and scientific support and services
- Coordinate major Forensic Toxicology equipment and laboratory systems selection, setup and validation
- Coordinate Forensic Toxicology test development and endorsement into production
- Provide input on Policies and Procedures for Specimen Procurement, Storage, Transportation and Processing
- Provide medical, scientific, technical and clinical education and knowledge transfer
- Provide consulting services to Laboratory Operations for interpretation of complex Forensic Toxicology test result and managing change and implementation of organizational quality initiatives
- Inspect work and recommend stopping work in the case of major, high-risk quality problem
- Provide expert knowledge with respect to function specific content to keep Dynacare website current
- Assess competition and market opportunities and threats; recommend appropriate plans; and implement decided actions (when relevant)
- Establish, Monitor, measure and deliver optimal Forensic Toxicology results against performance metrics (systems, processes, procedures and activities)
- Analyze and identify issues impacting operational performance and establish initiatives for continuous improvement to ensure efficient utilization of resources and testing, overall technical excellence, meeting customer expectations, effectiveness and efficiency (e.g., quality, reliability, accuracy of reports/results) and employee satisfaction
- Serve as a resource to all of Dynacare in interpretation of Forensic Toxicology tests/results, test information and method validation.
- Promote external visibility through presentations, publications and appropriate representation on external provincial and national committees and international committees
As a Responsible Person
- Ensure that there are sufficient personnel with adequate training and experience to supervise and conduct the work of the HHS-certified laboratory. Ensure the continued competency of laboratory staff by ensuring the documentation of their in-service training, reviewing their work performance, and verifying their skills.
- Support the maintenance of a complete and current SOP manual that is available to all personnel of the Forensic Toxicology laboratory (HHS-certified) and ensure compliance.
- Review and sign the SOP manual annually or when procedures are first placed into use and when changed or when a new individual assumes responsibility for the management of the HHS-certified laboratory.
- Participate and engage in the planning, execution, and review of new test methodology ensuring it meets all guidelines set by the governing body.
- Maintain a quality assurance program that ensures the proper performance and reporting of all test results; verify and monitor acceptable analytical performance for all controls and calibrators; monitor quality control testing; and document the validity, reliability, accuracy, precision, and performance characteristics of each test and test system.
- Initiate and implement all remedial actions necessary to maintain satisfactory operation and performance of the HHS-certified laboratory in response to the following:
- Quality control systems not within performance specifications.
- Errors in result reporting or in analysis of performance testing samples (PT)
- Inspection deficiencies.
- Ensure that specimen results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and that the results provided are accurate and reliable.
- Participate in external proficiency testing programs and inspections
- Prepare Litigation packages and provide testimony in court of law, if required
- Ensure the laboratory compliance with guidelines as required by external regulatory bodies
- Maintain the confidentiality of all documents, records and results from unauthorized access.
- Other related duties as assigned
- Liaison with licensing and accreditation authorities
- Physicians and other care givers
- NLCP and other Regulatory Inspectors/Auditors
- CSC and DND Inspectors and or Representatives
- Third Party Administrators (TPA) and Medical Review Officers (MRO)
- External Clients and or their Representatives
- Maintain appropriate representation on external provincial and national committees and international committees
Qualifications and Competencies you will bring:
- Knowledge of Standards and Regulatory Requirements in Medical/ Clinical Laboratory Testing Related to Clinical Biochemistry principles, theory, techniques, and applications
- Knowledge of Accreditation Canada Diagnostics (ACD) and CAP Proficiency requirements
- Ability to plan and execute projects
- Possession of an Advanced Degree in Clinical Biochemistry or related Biological Sciences and Certification by the AACC or CSCC or Equivalent Qualification or an ART in Medical Technology with extensive knowledge in Clinical Biochemistry and a minimum of 10 years’ experience in Clinical Biochemistry
- D. in one of the natural sciences, or training and experience comparable to a Ph.D. in one of the natural sciences with training and laboratory/research experience in biology, chemistry, and pharmacology or toxicology;
- Experience in forensic toxicology with emphasis on the collection and analysis of biological specimens for drugs of abuse;
- Experience in forensic applications of analytical toxicology (e.g., publications, court testimony, conducting research on the pharmacology and toxicology of drugs of abuse) or qualify as an expert witness in forensic toxicology;
- Ability to fulfill the RP responsibilities and qualifications, as demonstrated by the HHS certified laboratory’s performance and verified upon interview by HHS-trained inspectors during each on-site inspection
- Qualify as a certifying scientist.
Skills and Abilities
- Maintains and follow established SOP’s and provide recommendations and input into problem solving and trouble-shooting methods.
- Full understanding of the role of quality assurance and quality control, its impact on the quality, integrity, and validity of results.
- Meeting expected customer service levels in terms of quality of results and TAT.
- Excellent knowledge of the theory and practice of Forensic Toxicology.
- Proficient with the latest regulatory requirements such as the NLCP/SAMHSA, CAP and ISO 17025.
- Be able to Prepare Litigation packages and provide testimony in court of law.
- Method validation and annual reverification planning and approval and maintain up to date schedule.
- Generates or delegate the reporting of client’s specific statistical summaries
- Proficient technical ability for all laboratory practices (accessioning, screening, confirmation)
- Ability to multi-task and problem solving
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple deadlines
- Assessment of technical validations and performance
- Ability to research and recommend new testing platforms/technologies or upgraded assays
- Capacity to provide technical advice and guidance
Social Process Skills
- Demonstrate Dynacare’s core and leadership values with every customer interaction.
- Demonstrated success at building relationships and collaborating with a network of internal and external colleagues and subject matter experts
- Ability to work independently and effectively with minimal supervision focusing on results
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated success at building relationships and collaborating with a network of internal colleagues and subject matter experts
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, and educate internal and external clients
- Ability to motivate and develop operational employees
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Medical laboratory environment and office setting
- Perform duties in stationary standing/sitting positions with fine motor movements of hands
- High visual requirements
- Ability to lift up to 45 lbs. (pounds)- as needed
- Exposure to biohazard materials with constant exposure to noise
- Shift work as required
- Travel as required to different Dynacare locations
I make a difference in people’s lives. I am a caring, collaborative team-player who is passionate about quality and continuous improvement.
- Caring- I demonstrate strong empathy and genuine concern for my colleagues, patients and customers.
- Collaborative Team Player- I know I play a key role in helping the Dynacare team achieve success. I am comfortable in a changing environment, and I can easily manage multiple priorities.
- Passion for Quality and Continuous Improvement- I am always looking to learn and solve problems. I am detailed oriented, adaptable and find ways to make things better.
Dynacare has been a “Top Employer” for many years and there is a reason why. We are a great place to work.
At Dynacare, we’re proud to hire the best people. If you are looking for a meaningful career where you can support healthy lives with commitment and care – we would like to meet you. To apply for this position, you will be asked to submit your resume and complete the application process.
If your qualifications and experience fit with this position, we will contact you to learn more. We offer competitive pay and great benefits, along with the opportunity to grow and thrive with a dynamic, successful company. We hope you will join us in our journey to become Canada’s health and wellness solutions leader.
Dynacare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to the attraction, selection, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. We believe that our diversity is our strength, so we employ a diverse workforce and respect the needs of all our employees.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Dynacare Accommodation Policy a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the Dynacare hiring process.
Dynacare is committed to doing our part to protect our team, our clients and our communities against the spread of COVID-19. Please note that it is a requirement for this role that the individual be fully vaccinated*, unless an exemption under the applicable provincial human rights legislation applies. Proof of full vaccination will be required to be submitted to our third-party services provider for verification purposes.
*“Fully vaccinated” is defined as two doses of a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine, plus 14 days after the second dose.