Contributing Editor, Kindred by Parents
Dotdash Meredith is seeking a part-time Contributing Editor to help support Kindred, the digital destination for Black families on Parents, and join our editorial team on a temporary, contract basis. Parents is one of the largest and most well-respected parenting brands on the internet. Kindred by Parents is the newest extension of that legacy, supporting the people raising the next generation of Black children in lives full of love and joy. We are looking for a digitally-savvy, family and parenting enthusiast who lives and breathes Black culture to support an important 4-month editorial project.
In this role, you will report to and work closely with Kindred’s Senior Editor and brand leadership to creatively develop content, manage writers and assignments, and guide visual strategy, ultimately driving growth on organic and extended platforms. You will collaborate with our special projects team and other shared teams, including social, product, design, and more.
The ideal candidate is an experienced digital editor with an expert-level understanding of what makes high-quality content and a passion for the Kindred mission and Parents’ core values, rooted in diversity, equity, and inclusion. Previous experience working in a fast-paced environment is a must.
We anticipate this role running from early June through early October and are open to remote candidates. Applicants must live within North America and be able to commit to 20 hours per week. The rate is $40 per hour.
About Your Contributions:
- Support the ideation and production of a large-scale editorial project that uniquely showcases our work and unique brand POV around major topics in family and parenting and mental health.
- Help organize the editorial and creative planning, assisting in the alignment of responsibilities of editorial, design, and product partners.
- Collaborate with editorial team members in brainstorming, assigning, and creating and/or curating content.
- Manage a diverse team of Black writers and sources, including the recruitment and onboarding of new contributors as needed.
- Assign, edit, optimize, and occasionally write content based on best practices, brand voice and values, and current goals and strategy.
- 3-5 years of experience writing, editing, and publishing digital content, ideally with a focus on Black culture, parenting, health, or lifestyle content
- Top-notch editorial skills with an eye for good writing, solid research and reporting, and a keen sense of what content works well online
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, organizational and project management skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Organized, detail-oriented, and deadline-driven with proven experience in working with editorial calendars, budgets, and reaching production goals
- Highly creative storyteller with an eye for user-first digital content and the ability to talk through visual concepts with product and design counterparts
- Proactive, flexible, and enthusiastic team player with strong interpersonal communication skills, cultural competence, and the ability to partner with others with empathy and shared motivation
- Experience using digital publishing tools like content management systems, SEO research tools, and task management tools like Google Sheets and Airtable
- Passionate and knowledgeable about all things families, particularly Black families, care most about—you stay on top of the news, trends, and the latest research, can identify topics of interest for our audiences, and recognize the nuances and perspectives that will help us create content from an intersectional lens
- Solid understanding of current SEO best practices to inform editorial decisions and analytical skills to identify growth opportunities and measure performance
- Comfortable working remotely, and available for real-time engagement during working hours
- Access to a smartphone, computer (not a tablet), and a secure internet connection