Senior Autonomy Engineer - Perception
Position: Senior Autonomy Engineer - Perception
Location: Remote / Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 3-10 Years Relevant Work Experience
Education: Graduate Degree in Related Field
Division: OTTO Motors
About Clearpath Robotics Inc.
Clearpath Robotics Inc. develops the future of robotics technology through development and sale of industry-leading self-driving technology, products, and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research products and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO™ Motors. Clearpath Robotics Inc. is an award-winning company with recent awards including Robotics Business Review Top 50 Robotics Company, Edison Award for Innovation, Business Insider Top 40 under 40, and Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
About OTTO™ Motors
OTTO™ Motors is making material handling in industrial settings safer, easier, and more efficient through development of hardware and software that automates movement of goods in busy factories and warehouses. The company’s industry-leading self driving technology provides automated and on-demand material handling in the most demanding industrial environments, spanning automotive, medical device, aerospace, logistics, and more. Customers trusting their mission-critical material handling needs to OTTO Motors include Fortune 100 brands GE, Toyota, and Caterpillar. For more information visit https://ottomotors.com/
About the Job
Clearpath's OTTO Motors robots lead the industry in self-driving materials handling, and you can help us push robotics to the next level of intelligence and performance. This means continually learning, inventing, and implementing new algorithms for navigation, collaboration, and control - all with an emphasis on robust and reliable best practice programming. We're looking for people excited to develop the next generation of perception algorithms to tackle the toughest challenges in localization and mapping, machine learning, computer vision and more.
The perception team’s primary responsibility is the development of the core robotics software responsible for environmental perception and understanding on all of our vehicles. You will be responsible for evaluating state-of-the-art ideas from academia and industry, and taking these ideas out of the lab and into the real world, identifying opportunities to improve, and developing high-performance software to run in real time on the robots. As part of the perception team you will continue to advance the cutting edge of robotics research through collaboration with our academic partners and contributions to research publications and open source initiatives.
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Create robust innovative solutions to the problems of robotic perception
- Design, architect, and lead the development of new perception modules and features
- Development of custom SLAM, computer vision, machine learning, target tracking and perception algorithms
- Evaluation of new algorithms and sensing technology and make recommendations
- Concept development and planning of new products and projects
- Supporting deployment and testing of robotic systems
Additional tasks may include:
- Collaboration with internal teams including controls and navigation planning and well as academic and industrial partners
- Triage and support of live industrial systems in the field
- Mentoring and assisting with supervision of junior team members
- Attending and presenting at tradeshows and conferences
You want to work for a company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, want to make a difference, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems.
- Graduate degree in engineering/CS or a related field, with applicable background
- Hands-on experience with real world autonomous systems
- Extensive practical and theoretical knowledge in at least one or more areas of: state estimation, computer vision, SLAM, machine learning, target detection and tracking, robotic perception.
- 3+ years of software development experience bringing products to market
- Experience writing efficient, high performance code
- Strong software development skills in modern C++
- Proficiency with Linux
- Excellent teamwork/communication skills
- Ability to develop software development plans, including timelines and test procedures
Bonus points for:
- ROS, TensorFlow, Gazebo, and PCL experience
- Familiarity with graph optimization techniques and libraries
- Experience with git/other DVCS systems and other software development processes
- Understanding of sensor error modeling, particularly laser rangefinders and vision systems
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.