The Position: Under the overall Administrative Supervision of the Site Manager and the technical instruction of the Rehabilitation Coordinator, the Occupational Therapist provides restorative and rehabilitative services to disabled persons to increase their level of performance of activities of daily living in accordance with the physician’s written authorization and in conjunction with the total plan of care. The position supervises the Occupational Therapist Aide and the Rehab aide.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A FULL TIME FULLY BENEFITED OT "FLOAT" POSITION. THE PERSON IN THIS ROLE WILL WORK AT THREE DIFFERENT SITES (BERK & 2 IN OAKLAND) SUPPORTING THOSE OT'S THAT ARE ON LEAVE, VACATION, NEED ADD'L SUPPORT. THIS POSITION WILL HAVE A SET SCHEDULE SO THE OT WILL KNOW WHAT SITE THEY WILL BE AT FOR EACH DAY OF THE WEEK.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the physician and the multidisciplinary team in evaluating the participant's level of functioning and potential for rehabilitation or restoration, by applying diagnostic and prognostic procedures.
- Assists in the development of a plan of care that may include the use of devices, techniques and activities to promote muscle re-education, perceptual-motor and cognitive function, balance, endurance and other factors affecting the level of independence in performing activities of daily living.
- Establishes a plan of care with specific and measurable goals and objectives.
- Instructs and in-services agency staff and caregivers on certain areas of occupational therapy in which they may work with the Participant.
- Performs periodic evaluations to determine Participant’s progress: including assessment and re-assessment of all Participants at least every six (6) months.
- Completes quarterly/six month progress notes or assessments.
- Reviews and initials all evaluations and the discharge summary.
- Observes; records and reports regularly to the multi-disciplinary team on participant's response to the occupational therapy interventions and any changes in the participant's condition.
- Instructs supervises and evaluates therapy program aides in the implementation of the Participant's individualized plan of care.
- Provides in service training to other members of the health team.
- Recommends occupational therapy policies and procedures concerning services provided. Maintains quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control.
- Trains family members, other caregivers and CEI staff in methods to maximize safety and functional abilities in performing ADL’s.
- Fulfills CEI documentation requirements and department record-keeping of occupational therapy services provided.
- Assist with data collection and prepares reports. Maintains any necessary participant statistics.
- Conducts and participates in clinic educational programs.
- Supervises occupational therapy supportive personnel. Assists and oversees them in planning treatment programs.
- Maintains department in a clean and orderly manner. Keeps equipment in good working condition.
- Follows all CEI Policies and Procedures, OSHA safety guidelines.
- Maintains the confidentiality of all company procedures, results, and information about participants, clients or families regardless of setting.
- Handles potentially infectious specimens with appropriate biohazard precautions, and practices Universal precautions.
- Maintains a courteous, helpful and professional attitude on the job. Displays a willingness and ability to be responsive in a warm and caring manner to all customer groups. Consistently cooperates and supports organization in problem solving issues. Ensures customer satisfaction by understanding and applying the Customer Service Policy, Procedure and Standards.
- Maintains safe working environment. Follows CEI’s Safety Policies and Procedures.
- Participates in continuing education classes and any required staff and training meetings. Maintains professional affiliations and any required certifications.
- Performs other duties as required or requested in a positive and helpful manner to ensure a smooth running work area.
- Initial and periodic assessments.
- Communication of participant changes to team members.
- Plan of care.
- Coordination for 24-hour care delivery.
- Documentation in the medical record.
- Be a graduate of an occupational therapy curriculum accredited jointly by the Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation of the American Medical Association and the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) or other equivalent organizations approved by the Secretary.
- Be eligible for the National Registration Examination of the American Occupational Therapy Association or hold a current license by the Occupational Therapy Board.
- Have two to three years of appropriate experience as an occupational therapist and have achieved a satisfactory grade on a proficiency examination conducted, approved, or sponsored by the U.S. public Health Service. One year experience working with the frail elderly.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification on file.
- Working knowledge of the scopes or practices of physical therapy and Speech/Language Pathology related to geriatrics.
- Knowledge of safety requirements
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with participants, co-workers, medical staff, and the public.
- Skilled in identifying and recommending problem resolution.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
Center for Elders’ Independence is a PACE (Program of All- Inclusive Care for the Elderly) organization that uses an interdisciplinary team approach to care planning and care implementation for the purpose of providing high quality, affordable, integrated health care services to the elderly, including an Adult Day Health Center, and promoting autonomy, quality of life and the ability of individuals to live in their communities. Unlike other healthcare plans, CEI is not a "fee-for-service" plan. It is a a “capitation” healthcare plan. CEI is paid a set amount for each person enrolled in our program, whether or not that individual seeks care. We are a growing company that offers stability and continues to thrive.