Director, HR Business Partner – North America Commercial
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Director, HR Business Partner will support the North America Commercial Operations organization, comprised of 250+ employees across the region. Reporting to the Executive Director, HR for Global Commercial Operations & Corporate Groups, this individual will be a key member of the Commercial HR team to partner with leaders on areas such as talent management, succession planning, team effectiveness, change management and coaching. They will also help drive business-wide HR priorities including cutting edge projects in the areas of the Future of Work, Workforce Strategy, DEI initiatives and Managerial Capabilities in support of the overall Employee Experience.
The key focus of this role will be to align the people strategy for North America Commercial with the growth objectives of the business for 2021 and beyond. Partnering closely with HR’s Centers of Excellence, this position will provide support to Commercial leaders on acquiring, developing, retaining and engaging talent in a time of growth and transformation.
- Managing a range of human resources activities, this role will provide proactive HR leadership and consultation supporting managers and employees across the organization.
- Serves as an integrated part of the organization, working with and advising the managers of respective client groups to align with and assist in accomplishing broader business objectives.
- Partners with the HR COEs to deliver customized programs and services to the business in the areas of Talent Development, Talent Acquisition, and Compensation.
- Provides managers and employees with interpretation and guidance on current HR/business policies.
- Manages and resolves employee relations issues through effective and objective investigation processes, ensuring adherence to appropriate employment laws and BioMarin policies.
- Develops/conducts presentations and facilitates discussions with managers on a variety of HR-related subjects.
- Drives culture shaping, organizational development and change management strategies aligned to overall business objectives.
- Participates in HR and/or cross-functional initiatives that may require taking the lead on special projects within the client group.
- Maintains close relationships with the broader HR team to work in synchronization with other functions and regions.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- A degree in Business, HR or related field, with a minimum 8-10 years of experience of increasing responsibility across people functions.
- Experience supporting a variety of client groups, including Commercial teams; Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry experience preferred.
- Team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills who can effectively interface and collaborate with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Strong negotiating, influencing, and consulting skills.
- Ability to quickly build credibility and trust across the organization.
- Strategic mindset with strong business acumen to connect dots and consider operational and financial components of broader business objectives.
- Passionate about people and culture, with an emphasis on diversity, equity, and inclusion.