Senior Field Clinical Coordinator – PKU/Achondroplasia (Houston, San Antonio, Austin)
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Senior Field Clinical Coordinator, PKU/Achondroplasia:
The Senior Field Clinical Coordinator (Sr-FCC) uses BioMarin approved educational materials to educate patients on the safe and appropriate use of BioMarin marketed therapies. Sr-FCCs support Palynziq product initiation and on-going therapy by collaborating closely with assigned clinics and the BioMarin account team (Field Sales and BioMarin RareConnections.) Sr-FCCs do not provide medical advice. Sr-FCC’s are based out of their homes, support 50-60 PKU patients from participating clinics in a designated geographical region.
For VOXZOGO, the Senior Field Clinical Coordinator will provide disease and product education to achondroplasia patients and their caregivers in support of starting therapy with 2 in-person training sessions to reinforce the education provided by the prescribing clinic. For a subset of patients, on going in person support will be warranted. In addition to the education of patients, the Sr-FCC will conduct live training to the clinic staff who will be training patients in conjunction with the Instructions for Use approved by the FDA. The FCC will also be required to attend in-person patient education events.
In this role, the Senior Field Clinical Coordinator:
- Works closely with assigned clinics, BioMarin field sales organization, and BioMarin RareConnections (RC) personnel to ensure timely initiation of BioMarin therapy and adherence-related activities for patients enrolled in BioMarin RareConnections
- Works collaboratively in an account team (Account Manager, Case Manager, Clinical Coordinator) moving cases from referral to specialty pharmacy shipment to product start
- Conducts patient-level education with new patient starts including BioMarin product information (safety, efficacy, dosing, administration, storage), disease state awareness, injection training, and clinic specific protocols at their request
- Provides in-person support for self- administration of FDA-approved BioMarin marketed therapies as needed
- Utilizes motivational interviewing skills to empower patients to advocate for their own health needs. Provides reminders for medication, clinic-prescribed labs, and clinic appointments at times convenient to patients.
- Conducts ongoing patient-level education on disease and product administration technique to support safe and appropriate use of therapy
- Participates in direct to patient educational events to raise patient awareness around disease state and appropriate BioMarin therapies. Typically conducted 3-4X/year on weekends and throughout the week
In addition to these responsibilities, the Senior Field Clinical Coordinator demonstrates leadership formally and informally on the broader team and consistently delivers the following:
- Influence beyond their own geography and regular contributor to the advancement of cross functional teams
- Generation and communication of best practices and involvement in projects and initiatives that help shape strategy and implementation
- Uncovers obstacles and trends and create solutions that are widely adopted
- Considered subject matter experts in the role of a Clinical Coordinator and has advanced knowledge of PKU and achondroplasia
- Contributes to regional and national assignments such as HUB training, Specialty Pharmacy education, field training, advocacy group alliance liaison, etc.
- Regularly takes on formal and informal peer leadership opportunities
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Advances patients’ health journey through exceptional motivational interviewing and positive outcomes.
- Strong presentation skills. Ability to provide dynamic and engaging presentations to small and large groups
- An ideal team player who consistently lives BioMarin Commercial values
- Action oriented, tenacious, and anticipating obstacles and leading solutions
- High business acumen and focused on customized value to all levels of customer (internal and external)
- Adaptability, consistently picking up on the need to change personal, interpersonal, and leadership behavior quickly
- Expert navigation of all systems and can align resources to action plans
- Requires travel, up to 65% work week
Experience and Education Requirements:
- 2+ years of Pharmaceutical experience as a patient educator
- 4+ years of direct patient care experience in rare disease
- Education as an allied health care professional
- Bachelor’s degree in Allied Health preferred or work experience equivalent
- Successful background check
- Valid Driver’s license and driving record
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.