Category Manager, Lab Operations
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Category Manager role primarily identifies, develops, and implements category initiatives that help increase leverage in the marketplace and drive value in operations. This role focuses on supporting lab technologies and operational needs at Biomarin globally.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Develops and implements strategies, procurement plans and deliver results for value creation and spend efficiencies in the fast-changing business environment
- Build relationships with key stakeholders to understand business requirements; identify opportunities to create value and develop effective cost reduction strategies and implementation plans
- Nurture stakeholder relationships by serving as a business partner, helping identify critical business requirements and providing sourcing and procurement services that meet expectations.
- Leverage extensive market and supplier knowledge to drive lower Total Cost of Ownership.
- Significantly influences functional strategy.
- Proactively identifies areas for new business opportunities, process improvement, and cost efficiencies.
- Considered an SME across categories by keeping oneself abreast with innovation pertinent to BioMarin businesses.
- Responsible to bring insights to divisions to support product development through sourcing strategies, including leveraging supplier capabilities and cross divisional best practices.
- Has the ability to manage business complexities and provide road map for sustainable solutions
- Lead projects/initiatives that have significant impact upon global business by achieving project milestones and objectives
- Lead supplier identification / selection and negotiations of MSA/SOW/RFPs with key supplier for lab equipment and supplies projects
- Anticipates internal/external business challenges and drives change
- Develop supplier KPI's and management
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholder to support and proactively respond to business needs
- Ensure adherence to corporate procurement guidelines
- Define and implement a risk base approach to enhance assurance of supply
- Negotiate, create, execute and manage effective local/global contracts with suppliers that to allow BioMarin to maximize opportunity.
- Leveraging professional expertise and relationships to contribute to strategy and drive business results.
- Leads the development of functional strategy.
- Leads change and innovation.
- Stimulates creativity and innovation in others.
- Open to new ideas. Supports change and take risks.
- Promotes a Global Perspective.
- Understands the common laboratories equipment and supplies needs of multiple business units and to leverage BioMarin's purchasing power to obtain best values for the businesses.
- Educate stakeholders on industry best in class lab and procurement solutions
- Manage initiatives that span virtual teams across the world and cross cultures
- Relationship Management
- Partner with business leaders (Manager, Director) to manage and align the category.
- Closely collaborate with adjacent business departments, and external partners to ensure adequate and timely delivery of agreed services, in line with agreed service levels
- Partner and collaborate with key Global Procurement staff of other BioMarin divisions in order to support cross divisional business initiatives, and explore Procurement synergies and efficiencies
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with key category vendors as well as counterparts at other Healthcare/Consumer companies. Manage ongoing Supplier relationships
- Develop and implement agreed purchasing strategies for category
- Initiate a collaborative environment among stakeholders
- Maintain strong relationships across various functions, demonstrate the value-add of leveraging and build enthusiasm and support for adoption
- Ensure optimal balance between value for money and cost savings is achieved, while ensuring quality and good customer service
- Continually look for opportunities for cost reductions and cost avoidance and to provide overall value
- Manage category projects across business unit, and division wide when and where applicable. Participate in business projects based on category expertise.
- Lead project teams responsible for selection of category strategy. Responsible for people leadership. Recruit, mentor, train and develop talent.
- Identifies and deals with people issues in a constructive and timely manner.
- Responsible for overall morale of team and promotes cohesive attitude.
- Execute against established staffing/resources plan
Required Education Training
- 5-8 years of Procurement and /or deep Category experience.
- Strong project management skills.
- Robust people skills that include developing strong relationships and solving problems.
- Strong use of spreadsheet programs.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent interdisciplinary, intercultural, influence, and networking skills
- International experience
- Workingknowledge of markets by regions
- Knowledge of Supplier management preferred
- Ability to develop actionable implementation plans
- Relevant business process knowledge, as related to Procurement and Category Management.
- Knowledge of category technologies and products.
- Good negotiating skills
- Experience leading teams
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.