Head of EHS&S
Head of EHS&S - Shanbally, Cork
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Head of EHS&S – Environmental, Healthy, Safety & Sustainability - , EHS&S reports to the Director of Engineering and is responsible for site safety, occupational health, security, sustainability and environmental.
The Head of EHS&S will be an integral member of the Shanbally Engineering Leadership Team. He/She will be responsible for the leadership and technical oversight of the overall safety and environmental program and culture on site and also a member of the global BioMarin EHS&S governance group.
The scope of this role will cover all safety, environmental, security, sustainability and occupational health activities on the site in support of Drug Substance Manufacturing, Package and Labelling, Warehouse & Dispensing, QC and MSAT labs, Office areas & Fill Finish operations.
- Providing EHS regulatory advice to the site leadership teams and to site in general
- Liaison with regulators such as the HSA, EPA and DAFM (experience strongly preferred)
- To ensure a comprehensive and robust risk assessment and HAZOP system for the site
- To manage the security contract for site to ensure optimal site security
- To ensure compliance with the sites IED and GMM licenses
- To ensure all incidents are investigated, root cause analyses carried out and effective corrective actions put in place
- To ensure all site changes are evaluated from an EHS perspective
- Liaison with colleagues in the US and industry to ensure good practices adopted onsite
- Active member of the global BioMarin EHS&S governance group
- To ensure an effective emergency management system is in place onsite
- To ensure effective EHS training is carried out
- To ensure an effective biological safety program is in place (strong experience of GMO and biologics preferred)
- To ensure compliance with all DGSA and other statutory regulations
- To ensure a robust chemical management system is in place onsite and ensure that all safety data sheets are properly managed and accessible
- Manage the sites Occupational Health program
- To ensure effective EHS communications strategies are in place in the facility
- Demonstrate an active approach to quality, safety, industrial hygiene, environmental and regulatory compliance at all times
- Ensure waste water plant is managed in an environmental fashion
- Ensure the sites Sustainability program is in line with international best practice
- Organize and run the site’s BCM Team
- Liaise with the local community on all EHS related matters
- Ensure that the site maintains its certifications to ISO 14001, ISO 45001 and ISO 50001 (experience of standards implementation strongly preferred)
- Leadership of the team by providing clear structure and organization of work as well as development opportunities for team members
- Demonstrate personal leadership while managing talent selection, talent development, training, succession planning and performance management
- Set objectives for the team and ensure measurement system is in place to track performance vs plans
- Further develop the team culture focusing on inclusivity and cross functional leadership of the business
- Ensure routine, meaningful and clear metrics and reporting are in place for EHS&S
- Collaboration/Influence Management, Decision Making, Results Orientation
- Works with the site Capital Projects group with execution of capital projects from the initiation/concept phase through to handover of the project.
- Responsible for site EHS&S budget and yearly planning
- Ability to collaborate in a global team environment at all levels of the organisation
- Ability to start up and lead cross functional teams in the resolution of short-term issues or sustained performance for long-term goals.
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in the bio-pharmaceutical industry with strong technical, management and/or EHS&S experience
A relevant third level qualification in Science, Engineering or related discipline is preferred
Chartered membership of IOSH preferred
This would arise from time spent primarily at BioMarin facilities in Marin County, US.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.