Director, Engineering, Capital Project Delivery Office
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Senior Director of Engineering Capital Project Delivery Office and Governance provides oversight and accountability for the successful delivery of Global/Corporate engineering and facility related capital projects, capital project portfolio management, standards and practices for project management and project control, project governance, and technical leadership. This role includes global collaboration and standards management between all BioMarin campuses.
- Oversee, lead and coordinate the Engineering Capital Project Delivery Office (CPDO), comprised of over 5-10 number of project managers and an annual average portfolio of 100 projects.
- Accountable for the health, compliance and successful delivery of all engineering and facility related capital projects, including project change control, dependencies between project work streams, project controls and project governance.
- Oversee, lead, coordinate and drive the delivery of engineering operational transformational change activities for all BioMarin relationships and all transformation projects associated therein.
- Oversee, maintain, and improve project delivery and project control standards over all Engineering functions and audit usage on an annual basis.
- Develop, maintain and improve project management, delivery and project control metrics to measure project delivery performance.
- Accountable for conducting strategic reviews of capital projects to identify cost savings and cost reduction opportunities.
- Oversee, maintain and improvement capital project management, project control, organizational change management tools, templates and systems
- Collaborate with other key programs including Risk Management, Operations, Manufacturing, Engineering Teams, Corporate Real Estate, Quality, Strategy and Management, Technology, regional leaders and other team members as necessary to ensure the on-time and effective delivery of the transformational activity.
- Ensure that individual change activities within the project work streams are executed on time and to the required quality.
- Ensure that related corporate/global transformation activities are incorporated into the overall program structure.
- Identify barriers to delivery and work with colleagues and stakeholders as needed to drive progress.
- Interact and collaborate with stakeholders representing the multiple business units.
- Oversee development and operational enhancement ensure results alignment to business needs.
- Update senior leadership regularly on discussions, challenges, recommendations and decisions.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Finance or related discipline with 10 to 12 years’ experience in Engineering and Facilities or 10 to 12 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical industry.
- MS in Engineering/Finance and/or an MBA.
- Project Management Professional (PMP)®, Program Management Professional (PgMP)® or Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)® certification preferred.
- Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt or Operational Excellence related certification preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of management experience in global engineering and facility capital project portfolio of $50M/year.
- Experience in procurement role, including general contractor/supplier relationship management, RFI/RFP and bidding management.
- Able to execute and successfully deliver complex on projects that are mid-sized to large.
- Excellent collaboration, teambuilding and communication skills
- Strong business and technical acumen, strategic agility and global perspective necessary to lead the groups to world-class performance
- Influencing and partnering skills: Proven ability to build and leverage productive relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Project execution and outcomes focus: Proven ability to deliver complex transformational change in a demanding operational environment while under significant regulatory and senior management scrutiny.
- Proven ability to deliver significant and sustained cross-functional change in a program management function of a global financial services institution.
- Strong verbal and written communication.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to focus on detailed execution while ensuring alignment with a wider and evolving context.
- Excellent influencing and partnering skills
- Global experience, can adapt to and effectively manage in various cultural environments and organizational levels including executive management
- Experience with Oracle Primavera (P6) and Ares PRISM G2 is a plus
- 10% Travel may be required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.