Director, Marketing Operations Lead, North America Brand Management
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The North America Brand Management organization supports this corporate vision through developing and implementing brand strategy and tactics that drives growth while supporting the core BioMarin values of patient centricity, innovation, ethics, respect, accountability, and continuous learning. The newly created Director, Marketing Operations Lead, North America Brand Management will be responsible for overarching strategy, execution, and operations of our North America Marketing Operations team. This team oversees 3 critical aspects of BioMarin’s commercial business:
- Operational oversight and management of BioMarin’s North America (and Global, when required) Promotional Review Boards (PRB). PRB is the governing and approving board for all externally facing educational or promotional materials and internal training materials. The Marketing Operations team coordinates and facilitates the PRB meetings and agendas, collaborating closely with the 3 approving stakeholders: Medical, Compliance and Brand Management. Marketing Operations also manages our PRB system (Veeva), ensuring all processes are optimized and appropriately followed/documented, most importantly ensuring smooth transition of assets to our Compliance department who then oversees the 2253 submissions to OPDP. There are 4 Marketing Operations managers that divide operational ownership of the various brands in BioMarin’s portfolio (Palynziq, Kuvan, Vimizim, Naglazyme, Brineura, and future product launches in hemophilia and achondroplasia).
- Strategic and operational leadership of the internal BioMarin Creative Department, which includes 3 designers, 1 copy-writer, and 1 editor (as well as a variety of contractors). BioMarin’s creative team works on internal and external facing projects of varying scope and complexity (e.g., patient and HCP digital campaigns, advertisements for conference brochures, patient and HCP print collateral, event invitations, and internal BioMarin branding and communications.) The internal creative department is a highly valued asset to BioMarin as a whole, saving the Brand Management organization and multiple other teams across the organization hundreds of thousands of dollars annually on high-impact creative design and implementation.
- Marketing Production and Distribution Operations, including collateral production as well as warehousing and distribution. The Marketing Operations managers oversee vendor sourcing/bids, print production, other collateral production (e.g., patient welcome kits, internal swag/giveaways such as clothing/water bottles/equipment) for all BioMarin brands, requiring close collaboration with our Agency of Record (AOR) for each brand. Warehousing oversight is also critical for storage and access to educational and promotional materials, as well as strategy and implementation of ordering and distribution of materials to the field teams.
As BioMarin’s commercial organization continues to grow, the scope and complexity of our business warrants additional strategic and operational leadership. This newly created position will have 4-6 direct reports, including ~4 Marketing Operations managers as well as the Creative Team Lead (the Creative Team Lead managers the designers, copy writer, and editor). The “how” this leader will manager his or her team and collaborates with cross-functional stakeholders is equally important to the “what” this leader brings to the table in terms of marketing operations skills. The Director, Marketing Operations Lead, North America Brand Management will report directly into the Executive Director, North America Brand Management.
The Marketing Operations Lead will be part of the North America Brand Management Leadership Team, which is overseen by the Executive Director, North America Brand Management and includes the LSD Brand Management Lead (Vimizim and Naglazyme for MPS, Brineura for CLN2 Disease), Palynziq HCP Brand Management Lead (Palynziq for PKU), PKU Patient Brand Management Lead (Palynziq and Kuvan for PKU), Achondroplasia Brand Management Lead (vosoritide for Achondroplasia), Channel Marketing Lead (responsible for Payer, HUB, and Specialty Pharmacy Marketing), and our Senior Administration Assistant. The Marketing Operations Lead will be a critical point of contact and partnership for the PRB constituents (Medical Affairs and Compliance), as well as BioMarin’s Global Brand Management team. Although this position resides within the North America Brand Management Team, accounting for ~90% of the workload, a portion of this leader’s time will be spent collaborating with Global Brand Management to ensure processes, systems, and work instructions are developed and consistently implemented across all commercial.
Demonstrated leadership, professionalism, cross-functional facilitation and collaboration, strategic and tactical marketing, organizational, problem solving, communications, and project management skills are required as well as enthusiasm to collaborate in a thriving team environment. Strong results orientation and a sense of urgency to get things done are critical. This professional should be a disciplined individual that embraces innovative approaches, and is comfortable in a nimble and growing commercial organization. The Director, Marketing Operations Lead must be creative and adaptable to unique and changing situations, be goal-oriented, know how to set aggressive, achievable targets, and motivate internal teams as well as third-party vendors and agencies. A strong passion for supporting patients with Rare Disease and their HCPs through compelling marketing and educational programs and strong operational execution is essential.
This position serves as the North America Regional Specialist Lead for Marketing Operations, in concordance with the BioMarin Role Clarity and Career Development Handbook. In alignment with the BioMarin Global and Regional Brand Management role expectations, this Regional Specialist Lead will be accountable for:
- Defining the regional Marketing Operations strategy and overseeing the execution of related initiatives in North America
- Ensure Marketing Operations strategy / plan is established and maintained
- Including development and oversight of protocols, SOPs and/or work instructions for business-critical processes, as well as ensuring adherence to those SOPs for internal teams and those who engage with the department
- Identify, define and act on initiatives to prepare brand(s) segment (segment = Marketing Operations) for launch and maintain brand success in regional / local markets throughout brand life cycles
- Collaborate with key cross-functional stakeholders to ensure input, insight and feedback—esp. from brand management and the field team(s)—is represented in strategies and operational plans
- Communication regarding team and resource prioritization (especially among the creative department) is critical to successful collaboration
- Act as subject matter expert on Marketing Operations related strategy in the region, North America
- Collaborate effectively with cross functional global and regional team and stakeholders.
- Frequent cross-functional collaboration with multiple internal groups (e.g., brand managers/marketing, compliance, medical, sales, field based clinical support, market access, commercial learning and development, etc.), to set vision and execution plan for Marketing Operations across BioMarin’s North America portfolio
- Presentation of key activities and initiatives to North America and Global Brand Management teams, and Commercial executive management, as needed
- Oversight of Marketing Operations Team’s coordination with advertising agencies on the development/execution and hand-offs of creative assets for production and distribution
- Strategic oversight and vision for PRB team, including operational best practices, protocols, SOPs and/or work instructions
- Active member of the North America Brand Teams (and North America Brand Management Leadership Team), representing Marketing Operations priorities and insights, including attendance at ongoing team meetings and annual brand/business planning events
- Minimum 10 years of related experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry, preferably within Rare Disease.
- 2+ years managing people and/or leading teams
- Experience with marketing operations required.
- Experience with system for Promotional Review Board (or equivalent governance team) is required, preferably Veeva (BioMarin’s system)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, including cross-functional influence without authority, is critical.
- Willingness to give and receive feedback with professionalism, both positive and constructive, is required
- Strong facilitation and leadership skills required
- Ability to interact with and positively influence all levels of business across multiple departments, including executive level (e.g., Executive Director North America Brand Management, Vice President Global Brand Management, Vice President Global Compliance and Ethics, Executive Director North America Medical Affairs, etc.)
- Strong analytical skills, solid general business skills and a good understanding of the US and Canadian pharmaceutical markets.
- Strong executive presence and ability to represent regional business performance, priorities, and needs to executive management
- Excellent project management, attention to detail and executional experience a must-have.
- Bachelor in Business, Arts or Science required
- MBA preferred