Legal Systems Architect, Legal Operations
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Legal Systems Architect, Legal Operations position is an exciting opportunity to join BioMarin’s dynamic Legal Department, reporting to the Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Corporate.
This position will play a lead role in managing the Legal Department’s systems, projects, and operations, including serving as the subject matter expert for all Legal systems. This role will provide day-to-day support for certain Legal systems and manage third party support providers for other Legal systems. The person in this role will work closely with key stakeholders on all Legal initiatives, drive the internal approvals needed for Legal projects and work collaboratively with the Information Management (IM), Finance and other relevant departments on the implementation and support of Legal systems and the execution and management of Legal projects.
The role requires an in-depth understanding of, and the ability to effectively communicate, details and issues related to Legal systems, processes and projects. Our ideal candidate will have the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and drive them through to successful completion.
- Manage all Legal Department systems and processes, including training internal users, providing day-to-day support or managing 3rd party support of systems, troubleshooting issues, building enhancements and liaising with other stakeholders to manage upgrades, enhancements, testing, validation and overall performance;
- Ownership of end-to-end experience related to global contracting process under our Docusign CLM; lead efforts to enhance and improve the contracting process and user experience;
- Work closely with our IM team to analyze software releases to assess impact of new features on Legal systems;
- Subject Matter expert in Docusign CLM and iManage document management system, along with other systems and tools utilized to support Legal processes;
- Manage integrations between Legal systems and other BioMarin systems (Oracle, Coupa etc.) and point of contact for other systems’ owners or stakeholders;
- Develop, maintain and enhance data-driven metric and reporting tools for Legal systems, including Microsoft PowerBI;
- Point of contact for and manage Legal related DocuSign eSignature accounts and related issues; and
- Manage and maintain Legal’s internal BioWeb page.
- Plan, lead, and execute Legal initiatives and projects, including developing project scopes, schedules, budgets and resources;
- Manage and monitor project progress; resolve problems, publish status reports and recommend next steps;
- Assemble, manage and lead project teams, including third party vendors supporting Legal projects;
- Support the cross-functional rollout of, and training on, new Legal systems and programs;
- Identify opportunities for continual improvement in Legal systems and related processes;
- Work with BioMarin’s global project management (GPM) team to provide or receive support as appropriate to ensure GPM’s leadership understands and supports the vision/goals for Legal projects and initiatives;
- Partner with the Finance Department to complete the budgeting process for Legal technology projects and initiatives and manage the actual spend against the budget, including PO accruals;
- Plan, coordinate, and execute change management activities related to Legal projects and initiatives
- Manage the Legal technology roadmap; and
- Support the global Records Management program and eDiscovery activities of the Legal Department.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in legal department operations and systems support or similar experience or other relevant legal department experience (experience within biotech/pharmaceutical industry is a plus);
- Minimum 2 years project management experience (Project Management Professional Certification is a plus);
- Demonstrated ability to independently lead and manage project teams and prioritize a heavy workload under tight timelines with little oversight;
- Experience summarizing business requirements and technical specifications, creating project plans and managing technical projects;
- Experience with data management, data architecture, process design and data warehousing principles;
- Experience with legal department systems (experience with DocuSign CLM, iManage document management system and/or Microsoft Power BI is a plus);
- Demonstrated success working in a high-performing, results-driven environment;
- Strong management and interpersonal skills to provide guidance and direct activities of other BioMarin team members or 3rd party resources;
- Strong problem-solving, time-management, and organizational skills;
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate issues and recommended solutions clearly and concisely;
- Detail-oriented, a quick learner and self-starter; and
- Sound independent judgment and discretion.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.