Director Business Process Excellence
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The position is dedicated to evolving Shanbally on its journey towards operational excellence. Leading a team of Business Excellence Managers, Project Managers and Technical Training experts this position enables the delivery of exceptional business process performance. This position sits on the Shanbally site Leadership team and is accountable for the Shanbally operations improvement portfolio and ensures successful delivery of Shanbally initiatives in support of our strategic plan.
The role reports into the VP of Site Operations, Shanbally and is a key member of the Site Leadership Team.
A high level of initiative, energy, and motivation are key role requirements, as well as excellent leadership and organizational skills and effective collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Working with the Site Leadership team, this role will direct the development of the site strategy plan that supports both incremental and transformative business processes.
- Partner with the Global Operational Excellence community on center led efforts
- The role leads a team that delivers exceptional results by building capability on site in lean, six sigma and any other methodologies that will serve to bring the site to a world class level of excellence.
- The role will support the site in its journey in maximizing the effectiveness of the business through the development of an effective technical training program.
Transformation, lean and operational excellence
- Drive the Operational Excellence strategy on site, develop and drive new strategy, systems and tools. Evolve the value proposition and gain leadership support.
- Lead the SBY operations review process and be responsible for shaping our leading metrics to measure the performance of business processes against targets both operational and financial.
- The role will maintain alignment in methodology, procedure and governance between Novato, Global External Operations and Shanbally.
Project Management Office (PMO)
- The role will support the site to manage its finite resources through the effective utilization of a PMO.
Detailed responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Establish strong working relationships with all stakeholders in Shanbally, across many levels to drive business process improvements.
- Develop Shanbally Operations End to End Business Processes to drive alignment, communications and decision-making framework.
- Collaborate with business to prioritize improvement ideas to be executed as projects through the management of strategy deployment systems.
- Manage Business Process Improvement communications throughout Shanbally Operations.
- Operate with a high degree of autonomy and professionalism and prioritize workload in accordance with business goals.
- Recognize barriers to improvement efforts and work to remove them.
- Support the development of capability for Lean, & Six sigma at Shanbally
- Work to implement a culture of Right-First Time through partnerships with the business and provide leadership in the use of operational excellence principles and process to optimise our technical and business processes
- Develop intranet presence and maintain electronic database of workflows and procedures.
- Assist in the development of effective leadership team meetings and decision-making frameworks.
- Collaborative Leadership - Ability to influence with or without authority, facilitate groups with diverse perspectives, bring teams to consensus/alignment. High tolerance for ambiguity and able to create order from chaos. Builds credibility through solid relationships and solid track record of results. Ability to communicate at all levels
- Ownership and Accountability– Takes accountability for actions, drives results, and able to learn from mistakes. Delivers on promises, goals, and expectations. Makes quality decisions and resolves problems with minimal delay as appropriate. Asks “what can I do to help?”
- Communication- Ability to communicate effectively up and down, at all levels of the organization, present complex and/or new ideas with clarity and simplicity. Ability to draft and deliver clear and concise procedures or business process documents.
- Excellent planning and prioritization skillswith the ability to multitask and adapt. Able to synthesize large amounts of information. Able to deliver results despite shifting environment
- Analytical Problem Solving– Ability to identify problems, define problem statement clearly and accurately and apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify data-driven root causes. Innovative and effective in solution development, risk mitigation, and execution.
- Customer focused- Partners with customers, looks ahead to predict future customer needs. Manages expectations.
- Change Management and Transformation – Ability to influence key stakeholders to drive Transformational Change during CI journey
- Science, Engineering, Business BS/BA required or 15-20 years of business/operations experience.
- Significant experience in lean & sis sigma with a proven track record. Preferable Lean Master or Master black belt certified.
- Business Process Management Primavera p6 preferable
- APICS certification preferable.
- Proven ability to lead and influence change
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.