Deputy General Counsel
Hachette Book Group is seeking a Deputy General Counsel to handle a range of commercial transactions, complex corporate agreements, digital distribution and platform relationships, intellectual property, privacy, pre-litigation, technology, business affairs and other general matters. This is a hands-on position for someone who will serve as a trusted business partner, providing strategic, creative and problem-solving advice for staff at all levels of the company. This attorney will be joining legal team based in New York and supporting multiple offices and all aspects of company business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Draft and negotiate a range of commercial agreements, including content distribution agreements across all media and platforms, software/IT agreements, sales and licensing agreements, intellectual property agreements and other day-to-day operational contracts.
- Counsel publishing units on copyright, trademark, libel, and other pre-publication matters.
- Advise on strategic decision-making for the business.
- Represent the company in industry trade association matters.
- Manage pre-litigation disputes (protecting rights and responding to claim letters), and manage outside counsel on litigation matters.
- Handle M&A negotiations with external counsel.
- Advise on compliance, regulatory and privacy matters.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and admitted to the New York Bar.
- At least 8+ years of relevant legal experience, preferably a combination of in-house experience and foundational training at a law firm.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Ability to spot problems, make risk assessments and problem-solving decisions.
- Ability to work independently, results-oriented and creative-thinker.
- Knowledge of media law and related trends.
- Ability to work collaboratively with clients at all levels of the organization, enjoy a fast-paced work environment, prioritize and multi-task.
- Experience handling compliance, privacy, and M&A matters.
About Hachette Book Group: Hachette Book Group is a leading trade publisher based in New York and a division of Hachette Livre, the third largest trade and educational publisher in the world.