Summer 2020 Marketing/Publicity Intern
Hachette Book Group offers paid summer internships to students and recent graduates interested in a career in book publishing. Our summer internship program, which runs from June 1st – August 7th and allows interns to work 28 hours per week, offers students an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and explore an area of interest. Interns are placed within specific publishing groups on either the adult or children’s side of the business based on interest, experience, and academic coursework.As an HBG marketing/publicity intern, you will have the opportunity to work closely with seasoned professionals and gain hands-on professional experience as you own day-to-day tasks, help with special projects, and attend departmental meetings.
We have marketing/publicity internship opportunities at:
- Grand Central Publishing
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
- Little, Brown
- Public Affairs
- Hachette Books
- Grand Central Publishing - Forever
- Orbit-to be shared with editorial
- Basic Books-to be shared with editorial
To enhance your work experience, we offer educational sessions featuring speakers from all departments of the company as well as networking and career development opportunities.
Who you are:
- A rising junior or senior, graduate student, or recent graduate interested in exploring a career in book publishing
- Self-starter with strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic and excited about discussing recent books you’ve read
- Possess a great attitude and a desire to learn as well as excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team and contribute insights
- Resourceful with the ability to balance multiple responsibilities and work independently
- Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
What you will learn:
- Assist with galley and review copy mailings for Fall titles
- Update the publicity databases
- Write early drafts of press releases, galley letters, and pitch emails for upcoming titles.
- Assist with summer author book signing events, as needed
- Create press and marketing materials
- Work on publicity schedules and tours
- Create media and marketing lists
- Work with advertising programs, copy writing, digital marketing, and social media
- General administrative duties
How to apply:
In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume AND cover letter. Please note that you are responsible for your own housing during the duration of the internship.
Cover letters should specify which publishing groups you are interested in exploring. To learn more about our groups, check out our website: https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/imprints/.