Assistant Editor, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (LBYR) is seeking an Assistant Editor who is highly-organized, creative, passionate, and knowledgeable about children’s book publishing. The Assistant Editor will report to the Publisher and an Executive Editor and is responsible for providing editorial and administrative support for all stages of the publishing process for picture books, middle grade, and young adult fiction and nonfiction, with a particular emphasis on picture books. Two years of solid children’s editorial experience preferred. This position is based in NYC on a hybrid 2 days in office/3 days remote schedule.
LBYR is dedicated to maintaining an inclusive and collaborative environment in which our publishing team can learn, grow, and thrive. We publish about 200 books a year for readers ages 0-18, including picture books, fiction, nonfiction, and graphic novels, as well as brand/licensed properties. LBYR is the home of numerous award-winning and bestselling authors and illustrators including Kwame Alexander, Holly Black, Sophie Blackall, Peter Brown, Chris Colfer, Vashti Harrison, Grace Lin, Stephenie Meyer, James Patterson, Jewell Parker Rhodes, Trenton Lee Stewart, and Malala Yousafzai.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage book projects through all phases from manuscript to bound book; acquisition, editorial, copyediting, design, and production.
- Read, report on, and respond to submissions.
- With manager supervision, acquire and edit select titles.
- Draft jacket, catalog, and promotional copy, and prepare fact sheets with title information for marketing, publicity, and sales departments.
- Prepare contract requests and process payments.
- Attend and prepare materials for editorial, marketing, and sales meetings as required.
- Read, report on, log, track, and respond to submissions.
- Research book sales using internal and external databases.
- Participate in brainstorming meetings and share ideas for projects.
- Enter title data into proprietary systems and maintain data throughout the publishing process
- Correspond directly and professionally with authors, illustrators, and agents.
- Perform administrative duties, including: photocopying, shipping packages, filing, directing/responding to phone calls, coordinating meetings, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 2 years previous editorial experience preferred
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of overall children’s book marketplace and trends, as well as a strong interest in picture books
- Self-starter with the ability to deliver timely, accurate, detail-oriented work with excellent follow up
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively in a busy, fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience.
- Proficient in Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as capable and interested in learning new applications such as Concur, Microsoft Teams, Jabber, Bookscan
- MAC experience strongly preferred
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your roll or exceptional workload issues or special projects. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, 401(k), incentive plan eligibility, educational training opportunities and more.