The Contracts Assistant will be responsible primarily for providing administrative assistance to a Senior Contracts Manager, Senior Contracts Associate and/or Contracts Coordinator with matters relating to drafting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts and license agreements pertaining to specific groups/divisions of Hachette Book Group imprints (e.g. Little, Brown and Company and Perseus Books publishing divisions/imprints) and matters related to contracts data entry. The day-to-day administrative tasks may include: taking phone messages, scanning and filing documents, updating and maintaining workflow and status reports, scheduling meetings, inputting contracts data into the database, handling and preparing payment information and registering works for copyright. After training, the job responsibilities may also include drafting and routing subsidiary rights agreements and drafting and processing fee-based contracts for contributors and drafting amendments to author agreements. The Contracts Assistant will also be required to handle cancellation and reversions requests. This job offers a good introduction to the business and legal side of publishing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Update and track author agreements and amendments workflow and status reports for specific HBG imprints/divisions.
- Route and mail author agreements, amendments, and fee-based contributor agreements, using DocuSign whenever possible.
- Prepare payment information/requests.
- Enter contracts data into the database.
- Register copyright for HBG publications.
- Draft and review contract amendments and fee-based contributor agreements. This involves correspondence and negotiation with the counterparty and in-house departments, including Legal, Editorial and Finance.
- Draft and review subsidiary licenses for specific HBG divisions/imprints.
- Review and respond to publishing rights reversion requests.
- Update, track and draft (as needed) contract cancellations, including tracking repayment plans with the Finance Department.
- Perform other duties as reasonably assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Self-starter, able to take ownership of job responsibilities and manage work time efficiently