Summer 2019 Audio Intern
Hachette Book Group offers paid summer internships to students and recent graduates interested in a career in book publishing. Our summer internship program, which runs from June 3rd – August 9th and allows interns to work 28 hours per week, offers students an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and explore an area of interest.
As an HBG Audio Intern, you will have the opportunity to work closely with seasoned professionals and gain hands-on professional experience as you own day-to-day tasks, help with special projects, and attend departmental meetings.
To enhance your work experience, we offer educational sessions featuring speakers from all departments of the company as well as networking and career development opportunities.
Who you are:
• College juniors and seniors who are candidates for a B.S. or B.A. degree
• Majors preferred: English, Creative Writing, Communications, Media, Public Relations, Marketing, or related course of study
• Effective communication skills (oral & written), sound grammar and editing ability, good judgment, and excellent interpersonal skills
• Must have a keen attention to detail in a deadline-driven environment with the ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Strong administrative, follow up, and organizational skills a must
• Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite tools including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
What you will learn:
The Audio Intern benefits from working across the department's functions. From Publicity to Sales, our Interns learn a great deal holistically about the business of publishing in general and audiobook publishing in specific. The internship will be tailored to a certain extent to the interests and strengths of the candidate, but projects throughout the summer may touch on the following:
Operations: Digital Asset Management maintenance/reporting; Assist with licensing paperwork and transmittal of files, aid with tracking and payment of invoices.
Sales Analysis: Study trends in audio (digital and physical) and large print channels. Return sales report data as needed. Act as support for the SVP's Large Print imprint, which is also run out of the Audio department.
Marketing and Publicity Initiatives: Assist in mailings to reviewers, keeping databases and social media assets updated as needed. Intern may help create or proofread various campaigns, publicity pitches, sales materials, and account presentations as needed.
Art & Design: Check on Rights Clearance, assist in packaging trafficking; and if candidate has design experience, potential web advertising/promotions.
Audio Production: Admin responsibilities as designated (eg helping with scripts, inputting book descriptions into spreadsheets for Producers).
• Key skills required: Detail-oriented self-starter who can pick up new programs and skills quickly. Interest in audiobooks a major plus!
• MS Office-proficient a must.
• Pro Tools, InDesign and PowerPoint a plus.
How to apply:
In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume and cover letter. Please note that you are responsible for your own housing during the duration of the internship.