Director, Research Solutions Engineering
Position: Director, Research Solutions Engineering
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Education: Bachelor’s degree in engineering or software, 10+ years’ experience
Division: Clearpath Robotics
Clearpath Robotics is the world leader in the design of mobile robots for research and application development. Our clients are world renowned in their own rights and range from universities to some of the biggest, best-known companies on the planet.
We employ a diverse and highly talented team who live and breathe robotics. We need more passionate people on our team who are willing and able to push the boundaries of robotics into focused and practical applications.
Clearpath is automating the world and we need your help. Got what it takes?
About the Job
Clearpath Robotics is scaling up our engineering team, as we take on bigger and better projects. We are looking for a technical leader to scale our Research Systems group to new and exciting levels. If you’d like to be a part of unmanned systems making an impact and don’t want to be limited by a specific market, this is where you should be!
As the Director, Research Solutions Engineering, you will start by leading and managing our existing engineering team by providing tactical day-to-day guidance, including establishing team objectives and priorities, providing performance and development feedback, establishing processes as required, as well as applying your technical expertise to solve complex problems. Once you prove yourself, you will scale the team to match our ambitions. Additionally, you will take ownership of software program management so we can build winning strategies together.
Most importantly, you are not afraid to wear multiple hats! You are eager to join in on the smallest problem (fixing this solder joint) all the way up to the largest (pitch, plan, execute, and interface with clients on million-dollar deals)!
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Resource and team management, scheduling
- Technical and process debt wrangling
- Project scoping and ownership
- Engineering product management
- Team recruitment and evaluation
- Providing mentorship
Additional tasks may include:
- Coordination on shared technology initiatives with the Clearpath OTTO Motors materials handling division
- Liaising with academic and corporate development/research partners
- New technology evaluations/initiatives
- Customer facing discussions
- Being the first line of defense against robot uprisings
You want to work for a small company that thinks big and dreams huge. You like to do as well as manage. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. Herding cats is the easy part, getting them to write clean, efficient, warning free software, that’s where the challenge lies.
- 10+ years of hands-on experience in a related field (robotics, aerospace, etc)
- Experience in software engineering management
- Comfortable with software architecture, design, review, and quality processes
- Strong passion for managing/teaching others and you’ve got evidence that people love to work for you
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to support your strong technical competence
Bonus points for:
- Experience with stationary or mobile robotics
- ROS (or other OSS) contributor
- Comfortable with modern embedded and Linux software development
- Experience with safety risk assessments and other industry standards
- Direct experience launching products from concept to adoption
- Business case development and budgeting experience
- Hands-on experience with any of the engineering ‘black arts’ – radio systems, performance optimizations, distributed systems, real-time systems, etc
- Knowing what the robot password is
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.