Adult Custodial Care Worker
WHITE MOUNTAIN APACHE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SERVICES, INC.
POSITION: ADULT CARE WORKER
CLASSIFICATION CODE: NON-EXEMPT FULL TIME
DEPARTMENT: RESIDENTIAL SERVICES
REPORTS TO: CUSTODIAL CARE SITE SUPERVISOR
STATEMENT OF JOB: This position supervises and cares for adults children ages 18 years and older that are under the guardianship of White Mountain Apache Tribal Social Services. The Adult Care Worker shall ensure that resident’s basic needs such as shelter, safety, food, and clothing are met in compliance as outlined in ABHS policies & procedures and residential manuals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists residents with meals, bathing, hygiene and other daily routine tasks.
- Prepares and serves meals during scheduled shifts.
- Supervises and accounts for residents.
- Develops, plans, supervises, and participates in daily recreational and social activities, including outdoor programs and physical exercise.
- Implements the Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) and other facility policies, procedures, and techniques to assess and instruct residents in positive behavior management, socialization, and living skills.
- Observes and documents the behavior, development and needs of residents.
- Prepares incident and other written reports in a timely fashion.
- Consults and communicates with shift leaders, supervisors and professional staff concerning behavior issues and the needs of residents.
- Performs housekeeping duties to ensure a neat, clean and orderly environment, such as bed making, laundry, and takes inventory of clothes, linens, food and supplies.
- Gives verbal and physical reassurance and provides guidance to residents in distress.
- Interviews involved parties and/or responds to critical incidents and emergency situations.
- Notifies Police immediately upon elopement.
- Defuse adverse situations, both physically and emotionally after completion of CPI training.
- Carries out daily living plans for residents, developed by a multi-disciplinary team.
- Transports and/or accompanies individual and groups of residents to appointments or on field trips outside the facility in assigned company vehicle only.
- Orders and restocks supplies with Supervisor approval.
- Conducts group meetings with residents to discuss facility/shelter rules and procedures, address concerns, and provides instructional information on appropriate behavior management and use of living skills.
- Assists in the intake and release of residents.
- Work as a team member in maintaining a safe and healthy living environment in the shelter home.
- Provides responsive, high quality service to employees, representatives of outside agencies and members of the public by providing accurate, complete and up-to-date information, in a courteous, efficient and timely manner.
- Abide by all applicable policies, procedures, and program standards of ABHS, White Mountain Apache Tribe, Indian Health Services, Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) and other pertinent regulatory authorities.
- Provide a positive role model to clients and staff through leadership, self-discipline, and genuine care for the treatment and recovery of clients. All clients and staff members must be treated with dignity and respect.
- Attends and participates in all staff meetings, training, community events, and other agency related business.
- Reports/attends work in timely manner. Must be reliable and communicate directly with supervisor in all matters of attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
This list is not intended to be all-inclusive. This organization reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Emergency procedures in residential care facilities
- Welfare and Institutions Code
- Principles of group dynamics control and discipline
- Methods and techniques of directing group activities
- Meals and special diets
- Arts and crafts appropriate for varied age groups
- Telephone, office, and online etiquette
- Current technology and trends in the profession
Skills and Abilities to:
- Perform routine tasks in the supervision and care of residents in all age groups.
- Organize and supervise a group of residents in recreational and social activities.
- Assess and respond effectively to emotional changes in residents, emergency situations, and/or critical incidents.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) year experience in social services field that includes at least one (1) year experience in residential services.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; ability to speak the Apache language preferred.
- Demonstrate strong critical thinking, problem-solving and organizational and time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively with a wide range of people, teams, managers, supervisors.
- MS Office proficiency and the ability to correctly operate a copier and fax machine.
- Valid Arizona Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
- Ability to pass all pre-employment testing, including, but not limited to, fingerprint clearance and background check.
- At least 1 year experience working with Native Americans.
**NOTE: Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 25, U.S. Code, Section 472 and 473).
The physical characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Constant: standing. Frequent: repetitive use of hand, walking, standing, bending neck and waist, squatting, climbing, kneeling, twisting neck and waist, simple grasping of left and right hand, power grasping right and left hand, fine manipulation right and left hand, pushing and pulling right and left hand, reaching above shoulder level, reaching below shoulder level, lifting objects weighing up to 75 pounds from below the waist to a height of 3 feet.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The employment is considered “at will” and agree that my employment can be terminated with or without cause and with or without notice at any time at the option of either me or the company.