Continuing Care Assistant - Part Time (0.75)
Employment Status: Permanent, Part-Time (0.75 FTE)
Full-Time positions are also available
Program Name: Home Support
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 60
Work Schedule: Days, with an evening and weekend rotation
Union/Bargaining Unit: CUPE
Area off work: Cumberland County
On Call: No
With VON you get to hit the open road, where the scenery and work is different every day. We offer a workplace free from the repetitive and boring, where you know you’ve helped someone remain independent, and meet some great people along the way. Our CCAs provide care in client homes and other settings in communities across Nova Scotia.
Come for the job, stay for the chance to make a real difference.
What we can offer you:
- Competitive salaries and vacation time
- Tiered Benefits (health, dental, LTD) & an Employee Assistance Program
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan with company contribution
- Travel compensation
- Comprehensive orientation program
- Opportunity to use your skills and expand your knowledge
- SMART phone provided to keep you connected during work time
- The opportunity to make a difference in your community
- Work with an organization that is 120 years strong
What you’ll do:
- Work with clients in their homes to provide personal care
- Assist with daily living activities, such as grooming, dressing and bathing
- Provide respite care
- Plan and prepare meals and light household duties
- Help with mobility and transfers
- Monitor and maintain household safety
- ….and much more
What we need from you:
- Continuing Care Assistant Certification (CCA)
- PSW, HSW, etc. certification from another province or other relevant certification or work experience (who are enrolled in or are eligible to enroll in the Nova Scotia CCA Recognizing Prior Learning (RPL) Program)
- Students in nursing, CCA programs and internationally educated nurses will also be considered
- Current CPR/First Aid required
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Child Abuse Registry Check are required, a Vulnerable Sector Search may also be required
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
VON is a non-profit organization that provides clinical, personal and social support to people who want to live every day to the fullest while remaining in their own homes and communities
Are you working in healthcare or a related field and interested in starting a career as a Continuing Care Assistant? Work with us while you are completing the RPL Program!
Funding is available through the Department of Health and Wellness for the Recognized Prior Learning (RPL) Program.
What is the RPL Program?
The CCA-RPL program recognizes knowledge, skills, and attitudes gained through on-the-job training, formal education, and life experiences to be assessed for credit awarded towards CCA program education. For more information about the program and available funding, please contact:
CCA Recognizing Prior Learning (RPL) Program
Funding for CCA Programs at community colleges
Funding is also available for the Continuing Care Assistant Program at community colleges across Nova Scotia. The Nova Scotia Government covers tuition and most program costs for eligible applicants. Please contact your local college for more details.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations where required. For more information, please visit http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its’ discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
Other terms commonly searched for this type of opportunity: Continuing Care Assistant, CCA, Personal Support Worker, PSW, care assistant, nursing assistant, health care aid, home care, student, new graduate, new grad
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception). To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.