Activationist (TPT 0.8)
Employment Status: Temporary, Part Time (0.8 FTE)
Program Name: Adult Day Program
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 60
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings
Union/Bargaining Unit: CUPE
Anticipated End Date: 01/25/2021
On Call: Yes
This position will provide quality support and care for individuals attending the Adult Day Programs. The successful candidate will help implement a planned program of activities to clients in collaboration with the multi disciplinary team including Recreation Therapist, RPN, Supervisor and Manager. Care is provided within the framework of continuous Quality Improvement (CQI), VON Branch philosophy, policies and procedures, standards and applicable legislation. This role contributes to fulfillment of the VON Mission Statement to develop and/or promote programs to meet community needs. Contribute to the development of the care plan for each client admitted to the Adult Day Program.
- Implements, evaluates and revises care plans on an ongoing basis in collaboration with the family/caregivers and multi disciplinary team.
- Collaborates with the Recreational Therapist in planning and implementing social and recreational programs.
- Participates in group activities to stimulate mobility, language, reminiscing, group identity and listening skills of clients.
- Assist clients with ADL as required ( toileting, personal hygiene, assistance with the administration of medications utilizing the medication system of the program
- Collaborates with the multi disciplinary team to identify risk factors and introduce interventions to minimize and eliminate client incidents • Ensure safety and security measures for the client, volunteers and staff
- Utilize volunteers’ talents and expertise within the program • Provides input in program planning.
- Diploma or Certificate from a Community College level program or equivalent in health care, social science or recreation with an emphasis on gerontology.
- Current Red Cross /CPR and Food Handler’s certificates required
- Certification with GPA, Montessori an asset
- Experience in working with adults, especially individuals with Alzheimer disease and other cognitive impairments and/or physical disabilities in a social setting a requirement.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Knowledge of community resources
- Valid driver's License and car insurance - must have a reliable vehicle
- Current criminal background check and vulnerable sector will be requested
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: fast-paced environment; attention to detail; lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; bend, push, pull, reach, kneel, and crouch using good body mechanics; walk, sit, stand, and climb stairs; grip and repetitive fine hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its’ discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.