Director of Human Resources
About The Institutes
A not-for-profit organization located in beautiful Malvern, PA, The Institutes has been the leading provider of risk management and property-casualty insurance education for more than 100 years. By living our values—Put the Customer First, Do What You Say, Work Together, Be Innovative and Do the Right Thing— our talented team delivers innovative solutions that best empower risk and insurance professionals to help those in need. In 2022, The Institutes were named a Top Workplace by Philly.com for the seventh time. We understand the importance of work-life balance and provide excellent benefits and a friendly and team-focused work environment to drive employee engagement.
Director of Human Resources
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Human Resources Department! The Director of Human Resources is responsible for planning, directing and developing Human Resources (HR) activities and Human Resources Generalists in support of The Institutes’ business strategy and vision. This includes employment practices, pay practices, oversight of payroll, benefits and retirement plans. If you have strong people and analytical skills and looking to join a culture-driven team, we would love to meet you!
What You’ll Do
- Directs and develops the Human Resources Generalists to achieve organizational goals through effective, independent and interdependent contribution. Recruits and trains new staff in the department, oversees their daily workflow, provides constructive and timely performance feedback and handles any employee relations issues in accordance with company policy. Provides guidance to the human resources team; assists with resolution of human resource, compensation, and benefits questions, concerns, and issues.
- Administers or oversees the administration of human resource policies and offerings including, but not limited to, compensation, benefits, payroll and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, occupational health and safety; and training and development. Manages and resolves employee relations issues and organizational challenges. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations.
- Plans, develops, coordinates, and implements policies, processes, initiatives, and surveys to support the organization’s human resource compliance and strategy needs.
- Oversees the payroll function (outsourced) and maintains structure of human resource information system (HRIS) to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Contributes to the organizational culture initiative through exhibiting core values as well as developing and promoting related programs and activities. May lead one or more culture initiative or team.
- Conducts research and analysis of organizational trends including review of reports and metrics from the organization’s HRIS (currently UKG). Recommends actions based on data.
- Monitors and ensures the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Identifies staffing and recruiting needs; develops and executes best practices for hiring and talent management, partners with HR Manager, Programs to identify appropriate recruiting strategies and manages internal alignment.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; applies this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to VP of HR and Executive Team, as appropriate.
- Serves on The Institutes’ Pension Committee, ensuring compliance, oversees annual 401k audit and compliance testing as well as the administration of retirement plans overall.
- Assists VP of HR to develop and implement departmental budget. Manages department expenditures in fiscally responsible manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned
We’re looking for someone with:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 8+ years Human Resources experience required.
- 5+ years of human resources management experience preferred.
- Oversight of 401k plan administration preferred.
- PHR/SPHR or SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP designation preferred.
- Planning and Organization
- Relationship Building
- Verbal and Written Communication
- Decision Making
- Problem Solving and Analytical Skills
- Employee Development
- Expert knowledge of HRIS required, UKG preferred.
- Technical Job Knowledge - employment regulations, law, practices and policies, payroll oversight
The Best Part? The Benefits!
- To enforce the importance of work-life balance, employees enjoy excellent benefits, including:
- 401(k) plan with company contribution up to 16%
- Generous time off package that includes paid vacation, personal, sick, and holidays
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- Medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage
- On our Malvern campus: Free lunch every day when working on campus, an onsite fitness center, and a beautiful 1.25-mile walking path!
The role is hybrid with at least two days each week in the office. Candidates should be able to commute to Malvern, PA at least two days per week.