The Institutes, a not-for-profit organization, is the leading provider of risk management and property casualty insurance education for more than 100 years. With revenue of over $42m/year, we are operating a vibrant online education business with over 300,000 customers. We are seeking a Java Developer to lead development activities across multiple small teams of developers and testers in our Agile/Scrum environment. The Java Developer will focus on coordinating data layer and business logic layer development with architectural and industry best practices, with an eye towards use of secured web services to integrate business functionality in a distributed system. The Java Developer is proficient at technical-requirements analysis, software development, debugging, testing, DevOps, and release management of a complete system application.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to development teams in support of TI strategic and tactical projects.
- Assist Service Desk with in-depth troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- Interact with business stakeholders to understand requirements for system enhancements. Identify implementation strategies and ensure that they are in alignment with architectural standards and best practices. Lead development efforts via hands on implementation and mentorship and guidance of junior developers.
- Consider Institutes IT strategic roadmap and make recommendations to support long-term project plans.
- Act as development lead on projects to support planning and estimating related to scope and level of effort, and to provide technical input on requirements and feature design. Work with Business Analysts, Project Managers and Product Owners on story breakdown, timeline and roadmap development.
- Create proof-of-concept and foundational software components that teams can build upon when developing application features.
- Act as a champion for best practices.
- Ensure delivery of the requested features and enforce architecture guidelines and coding standard adherence by participating in code reviews and assisting with testing.
- Advocate for code reuse and dependency management across development teams.
- Lead development teams in adoption and onboarding of software development tools and frameworks.
- Ensure that DevOps processes and artifacts are up to date and can support the team development pipeline and enhance DevOps processes and artifacts as necessary to support adoption of new development platforms and technologies.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert, leveraging in-depth understanding of Institutes systems to assist system users, mentor and train junior staff, and inform troubleshooting, impact analysis and strategic recommendations.
- Participate in onboarding and training new staff & support development teams during project deployments.
- Work with IT Leadership to define and enforce software development standards.
- Identify third party solutions and alternative application hosting solutions to achieve organizational and IT goals.
Education and Experience
- Four-year college diploma or university degree in computer systems design or computer science
- Ten years of software development or similar technical experience
- Knowledge of full SDLC and five plus years leading software implementations
- Leadership or experience managing technical project resources
- Experience with LMS and eLearning platforms such as Moodle or OpenEDX
- Knowledge of DevOps and release management/continuous integration techniques, as well as tools and technologies such as Git, Sourcetree, BitBucket, PHP Frameworks, Python a plus
About The Institutes
A not-for-profit organization located in beautiful Malvern, PA, The Institutes have been the leading provider of risk management and property-casualty insurance education for more than 100 years. By living our values—Put the Customer First, Do What You Say, Work Together, Be Innovative and Do the Right Thing—our talented team partners with our customers to deliver innovative solutions that best empower risk and insurance professionals to help those in need. The Institutes was named a Top Workplace by Philly.com for 2019, for the fifth time. We understand the importance of work-life balance and provide excellent benefits and a friendly and team-focused work environment to drive employee engagement.
*** Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.