Lead Cinematic Artist
About Splash Damage
At Splash Damage, we’re dedicated to crafting team-based multiplayer games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork.
Our teams celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics earlier this year, and we’re currently developing Outcasters for Stadia along with several unannounced titles.
As an UnrealEngine focused studio, we're excited to be transitioning our teams to the latest in UE5 technology and we're looking for skilled and passionate developers to help us drive this.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer a comprehensive benefits package focused on the well-being of our staff and their families.
We believe that teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. Therefore we're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 outbreak, we're all currently working from home. We’re still looking to welcome new team members, who'll join us remotely until we return to the studio
Splash Damage is looking for a talented Lead Cinematic Artist who will be responsible for overseeing all phases of cinematic production. At a creative level, this role requires someone to deliver a strong vision in collaboration with the project's narrative team and translate those ideas into high quality scripted moments and interactive elements.
The Lead Cinematic Artist will be also be responsible for the management, growth, and mentoring of the project's Cinematic team members. The ideal candidate is not only artistically and technically adept, but capable of clear communication and collaboration with other sub-disciplines and the wider development team.
The candidate will have to:
- Develop, direct, and carry the cinematic creative vision for the project
- Construct in-game cinematic sequences across all disciplines including - narrative, storyboarding, animatic, previz, blocking, casting, voice direction, animation, editing, cinematography, lighting, VFX, audio.
- Excellent understanding of cinematic storytelling, pacing, and character development in an interactive medium.
- Well versed in a variety of cinematic presentation styles and up to date with the latest cinematic techniques and innovations.
- Help establish and drive the pipelines, processes and methods necessary to take a cinematic from script through to final rendered in real-time.
- Maintaining consistent quality, style and continuity, both visually and technically throughout the project
- Direct motion capture and performance capture sessions.
- Ensuring a productive internal workflow and beneficial relationships with external partners
- Prioritizing and managing tasks to ensure that deliverables are completed on time and to specifications through stand-ups and synchronization meetings to communicate vision and needs with other teams
- Creation and maintenance of a prospering work culture within the team along with performance feedback and regular 1:1 conversation’s with the cinematic team.
- Liaise with other disciplines to resolve any technical difficulties and push project quality
Essential Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 3 published games with at least one AAA title in said role or equivalent
- Experience in leading a team and the development of high-quality AAA cinematic art
- Previous game or film experience working on action-oriented sequences and cut scenes.
- Previous experience of working with performance capture data and applying it to cinematic sequences.
- Cinematography experience, focusing in scene composition, pacing and editing
- Self-motivated, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- Ability to give and receive feedback and adapt to visual direction
- Working knowledge of MotionBuilder, Maya or other equivalent 3D program
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Great working knowledge of UE4 cinematic tools or equivalent tech
- Technical problem solving
- Create high quality animations for characters, facial, props and vehicles for cinematics.
- You understand how gameplay and cinematic content interact with each other (transition in and out)
- Previous work with external partners and vendors.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.