Assistant Technical Artist
About Splash Damage
At Splash Damage we're dedicated to forging lifelong friendships, both in the studio and through crafting team-based games.
We are entering the most exciting time in the studio's history, with our largest slate of games in development ever, across multiple genres and platforms.
All of our positions will be onboarded remotely, and work remotely, for a significant part of 2021, as we continue to assess the ongoing and uncertain COVID-19 situation.
We believe people work at their best when they can collaborate in person, but understand that everyone has different needs, and are working on an inclusive flexible policy to reflect that.
Winner of multiple Best Companies Awards, we are advocates for work-life balance, and offer a comprehensive benefits package focused on the well-being of our staff and their families.
This vacancy is open to candidates that currently have a legal right to work in the UK. We cannot provide work permits for our entry level positions at this time.
As an Assistant Technical Artist, you will be responsible for maintaining part of our content creation pipeline and implement graphical features on an exciting new project at Splash Damage. You will maintain consistent high standards of support across all Art disciplines, and work with other Technical Artists at the studio to improve general development practices.
You should have a pragmatic and practical approach to working with technology, willing to push technical boundaries and ensuring the Art team can work as efficiently as possible. If you think you’ve got what it takes to help Splash Damage raise the bar and strive for excellence, we’d like to hear from you!
As an Assistant Technical Artist, you will:
- Drive state of the art visuals that complement the game design and help deliver an exceptional product
- Prototype and develop graphical features, as well as authoring content that require high technical expertise
- Support the Art team in debugging tools or game related issues,
- Champion novel techniques and workflows amongst the Art team for efficient content generation
- Drive the game’s run-time performance and memory consumption optimizations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong proactive problem-solving attitude and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrable knowledge of modern game content creation workflows
- Must have a strong digital Art background (modelling, shading, lighting, VFX)
- Good knowledge of Unreal Tech, this includes applications such as Material creation and BluePrint
- Beginner to intermediate level scripting experience (e.g. Python, C#), especially for DCC applications
- Decent knowledge in Linear Algebra, Calculus and related mathematical concepts found in 3D technologies
- Good understanding of real-time physically based materials & rendering (PBR)
- Passion for games and game development
Bonus points for:
- Experience with the Substance suite and Houdini
- Knowledge of lower-level programming languages such as C++
- Knowledge of shading languages, e.g. HLSL, GLSL, cg or pssl
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.