Principal Character Artist
About Splash Damage
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our studio culture is rooted in our open, friendly, and collaborative environment. Our games are made by people from all over the world, from our entry-level Fresh Talent hires to industry veterans, and we believe that fostering that diverse culture is the best way to build both our games and our studio. We have won numerous awards, including a ‘World-Class’ accreditation by Best Companies and being named one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to work for.
While our offices are based in Bromley, UK, our people have access to progressive working patterns that give them the flexibility to decide how to do their best work.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Work your way with access to progressive working patterns including hybrid and fully remote
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process
- 25 days of holiday and 8 Bank Holidays a year, plus our annual studio closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
As a Character Artist at Splash, you will build an awesome line of characters with emphasis on sci-fi mechanical designs and organic elements. Striking the optimal balance in between visuals and functionality, bringing to life evocative designs that are full of character and detail. You have a great understanding of human form, and how to make characters come to life in a credible manner.
We trust our Principal Character Artists to model and sculpt high-quality game assets delivered on time and within the technical specifications required for the game to be performant.
Splash Damage is looking for a talented Principal Character Artist to join our growing teams of talented developers, helping us to create exciting games that are expertly built and enjoyed by millions.
- Create high quality characters and creatures varying in scale and complexity.
- Model characters using reference photographs and concept art materials.
- Work with the Lead Character Artist and Art Director to create high quality assets in keeping with the project's visual direction.
- Produce work within technical specifications under set deadlines.
- Review and iterate your work using the game editor.
- Trouble shoot asset errors and action creative feedback.
- Collaborate with Animation and Tech Art to ensure that not only do the characters look great but they function well in game.
- Coach and mentor junior level staff through knowledge sharing.
- An up-to-date portfolio filled with recent examples of hard-surface characters (for instance Mechas and Robots).
- A strong sense of silhouette, form and proportion.
- Knowledge and understanding of real world human and animal anatomy.
- An understanding of mesh topology best practices for animation purposes.
- Proven abilities in optimised 3D asset creation, including LOD generation.
- Expert level experience with PBR workflows.
- Proficiency with sculpting and modelling tools such as Zbrush, Mudbox, 3D Studio Max or Maya.
- Experience working with Photoshop and Substance Painter.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to work well self-directing as well as within a team.
- Worked with industry standard asset tracking software such as Jira.
Bonus Points for:
- Experience working within Unreal Engine 4+
- An interest on mechanical design or vehicles design.
- Experience modelling props and other character related accessories.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.