PRIMARY EMPLOYMENT OBJECTIVES
The Product Engineer is the vital link between Operations, Quality, Product Management, and Revision’s suppliers. Working throughout the organization, this position will be responsible for the design, development, testing, and evaluation of new products, applying knowledge of engineering to ensure the correct configuration of Revision’s products and the creation and maintenance of product drawings and test plans. The Product Engineer will also be responsible for product continuous improvement programs and may work directly with suppliers to ensure their capabilities and capacities support Revision’s growth.
SPECIFIC ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Determines nature of technical problems and possible solutions, such as product redesign, substitution of material or parts, or rearrangement of parts or subassemblies.
- Reviews and evaluates designs for improving performance or other factors, or to obtain data for development.
- Develop products utilizing product development best practices.
- Positions covered by this definition are characterized by the inclusion of work that requires an understanding of engineering theories and principles.
- Act as the bridge between Product Management, Quality, Operations, and Suppliers during contract and bid fulfillment.
- Define product specifications and support the creation of test plans and manufacturing work instructions for new products.
- Partner with Product Management to ensure successful new product introduction.
- Lead product development teams to deliver new product solutions on time and under budget that conform and comply with all required standards and specifications.
- Create technical data packages including drawings, BOMs, and test plans for new products and new configurations of existing products.
- Be the primary resource for continuous improvement of existing products for cost reduction, reliability improvement, or customer engineered specials.
- Provide Design-For-Manufacture feedback to design, tooling, and manufacturing engineers as needed.
- During product development phases, support the effort to select suppliers and develop product cost models utilizing the finance team for input as required.
- Interact with suppliers to establish new product capabilities and capacities with a focus on reducing costs, improving quality, and ensuring a reliable supply.
- Work closely with the Operations team to ensure smooth hand-off as the products move from development to production.
- Provide support to all concerned parties including Operations and Customer Service during the development of custom requirements for existing products especially as part of large customer orders.
- In concert with Operations and Supply Chain provide technical support in the supplier selection and certification process.
- Engineer supplier processes to achieve Revision Military’s goals and objectives in quality, cost, and customer satisfaction.
- Research, locate, and establish new sources of supply for technical components and parts in support of new product introductions as well as ongoing manufacturing and assembly.
- Interact with suppliers in a manner that builds strong win-win partnerships.
- Ensure that all interactions with suppliers ultimately support Revision’s Lean Manufacturing objectives.
- Ensure product development applies principles of Lean and Continuous Improvement to reduce waste and improve the organization's effectiveness and efficiency.
- Support efforts to locate low cost, reliable sources to support demanding new programs.
- Work with suppliers to develop their capability to meet our specifications.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts on existing products to achieve, cost, quality, performance, and customer satisfaction targets.
- Submit and follow-up on CARs as needed and evaluate internal or supplier responses to ensure problems are not only corrected but also prevented from future occurrence.
- Proactively search for gaps in quality and/or manufacturing processes at both Revision and its suppliers and implement changes to stop potential problems before they occur.
- Work closely with all concerned parties in the implementation of ECO’s that affect sourced parts.
- Support the creation new and update existing test plans for all products working closely with the Quality team identifying critical dimensions and inspection/testing requirements for manufactured and purchased parts.
Knowledge, Skill & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-5 years experience working in a product development, process engineering, manufacturing environment or supply chain management group required.
- Must have strong interpersonal / relationship building skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of injection molding processes.
- Must be able to read and interpret technical drawings.
- Experience with 3D modeling software (i.e. Solidworks, other)
- Must be familiar with ISO processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management principles.
- Capability to develop a project plan and to manage a project to completion.
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office tools required.
- Experience in the use of ERP programs i.e. Syteline, a plus.
- Highly motivated problem solver with meticulous attention to detail.