Early Childhood Educator
The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math.
MoMath is seeking creative, energetic individuals to join its staff as early childhood educators. Early childhood educators deliver MoMath’s weekly program, providing lessons to students 2-5 years old. This educator role offers the opportunity for a teacher with strong formal pre-K to K classroom teaching experience to participate in one of America’s major efforts in mathematical outreach to students, teachers, and the public.
This is a part-time position based in New York City.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Introduce early childhood students to the concepts of patterns, shapes, and numbers through songs, stories, and activities.
- Establish familiarity with, and present, MoMath’s early childhood lessons and materials.
- Greet students and parents.
- Assist visitors as they explore Museum exhibits.
- Lead activities at summer camps, birthday parties, and other MoMath programs.
- A minimum of one year of formal 3-K to K classroom teaching experience is required; state certification or museum experience are desirable.
- A strong mathematics background
- Experience with — and enthusiasm for — working with groups of young students on mathematical activities
- The demonstrated ability to manage a classroom and present a compelling, thought-provoking, and fun experience
To apply, please email the following to [email protected] with a subject line that includes “Early Childhood Educator” and your name: A cover letter that explains how you meet the qualifications for the position; a current résumé, including grade point averages; and a separate 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics.
MoMath actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Equal opportunities are provided without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.
COVID Guidelines: The National Museum of Mathematics requires employees to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation.