Senior Ruby on Rails Developer
Avvo, a subsidiary of Internet Brands, is changing what it means for consumers to find professional legal help. We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help us connect people with the legal help they need.
About the Position:
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will help your team solve customer problems and ship clean, maintainable code. In addition to shared backend services and front-end interfaces, you’ll contribute to our common libraries, mentor and pair with other developers, and strive to make our software development process more efficient. You’ll focus on the full depth of our software stack, while also growing your technical breadth.
- You have six or more years of experience developing web apps in Ruby/Rails (preferred), Elixir/Phoenix, Django, Node or a similar MVC development framework.
- You have been the primary owner/developer of several components or features.
- You have strong development principles, including experience with testing and TDD, object-oriented design, and higher-level system design.
- You have a passion for quality. You take pride in keeping your bug count low and your code quality high.
- You have worked directly with non-devs (designers, PMs, user researchers, etc.) to ship great products.
- You believe in the value of mentorship, and in a teaching and learning culture.
- You want to grow, and you're constantly finding small ways to improve all the work you and your teammates do.
- You are passionate about building using Agile and Lean methodologies.
Ideally, you'd have:
- Contributed to or maintained open-source projects (Send us your GitHub profile!).
- Experience transforming large Rails apps into a service-oriented or microservice architecture.
- Strong focus on the people who use your software, even when it makes things harder.
About the team:
- We mostly run Ruby on Rails, and have brought in technologies like Elixir, Node, and Rust.
- We're open to using the right technologies for what we build.
- We iterate quickly and ship multiple times a day.
- We’re running an entirely dockerized deployment system, and we’re always making improvements to help our teams ship safer, and more quickly.
- We work in small, distributed teams with product managers and designers and help shape the products we build.
- We have a strong tradition of supporting open source software. resque_scheduler, robut, resque_unit, and JSON API client were all extracted from our codebase, and we've contributed patches back to Rails.
About Internet Brands:
Headquartered in El Segundo, Calif., Internet Brands® is a fully integrated online media and software services organization focused on four high-value vertical categories: Health, Automotive, Legal, and Home/Travel. The company's award-winning consumer websites lead their categories and serve more than 250 million monthly visitors, while a full range of web presence offerings has established deep, long-term relationships with SMB and enterprise clients. Internet Brands' powerful, proprietary operating platform provides the flexibility and scalability to fuel the company's continued growth. Internet Brands is a portfolio company of KKR and Temasek. For more information, please visit www.internetbrands.com.
Internet Brands and its wholly owned affiliates are an equal opportunity employer.