Director of Print Publishing
Fodor’s Travel has been a leader in expert travel for 80 years and, as part of digital media powerhouse Internet Brands, is continuing to grow! We hire local writers who know their destinations better than anyone else, allowing us to provide the best travel recommendations in over 7,500 worldwide destinations. We deliver our expertise in every format that travelers need, from print guidebooks and eBooks, to Fodors.com and our mobile apps, as well as across our social media platforms.
Fodor’s Travel is seeking a Director of Print Publishing, who will report to the Publisher and collaborate with colleagues across all departments. The Director of Print Publishing is responsible for overseeing the process of moving Fodor’s travel guides from manuscripts to a printed books and ensuring these books are delivered and distributed on time and within budget.
- Manage the design and production workflow and shape procedures and standards to ensure that publications are produced on-time, on-budget, and that quality-control standards are met.
- Oversee planning and scheduling of the entire book production cycle and maintain the art/photo schedule for the departments.
- Review and oversee the processing of all paperwork and invoices related to design, production, and distribution.
- Solicit manufacturing estimates, select vendors and negotiate terms.
- Manage a team of over ten staff, including design and production, photo, and production editorial. Oversee their work, guide them in resolving issues, and troubleshoot problems.
- Work with design staff to identify freelance needs and oversee contact with designers, typesetters, and illustrators, as needed.
- Arrange with printers and shipping vendors for the timely and economical delivery of travel guides to distribution warehouses.
- Coordinate with our distribution partners to manage physical inventory and all digital assets required for book distribution.
- Collaborate with internal tech teams for technology needs and updates to any current systems or processes.
- Keep up to date with technology as it relates to images, prepress, print production, digital asset storage, and other relevant areas.
- Participate in weekly scheduling meetings and update appropriate stakeholders if schedules are running behind.
- Oversee an active reprint program.
- Oversee the production and design of all sales & marketing collateral.
- The ideal candidate will have a passion for print publishing, a broad understanding of the entire publishing cycle, and at least 5 years of experience working in book or magazine production.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
- In-depth understanding of design, pre-press, manufacturing processes and experience soliciting manufacturing estimates and negotiating terms.
- Extensive experience with graphic design, color management, including imaging standards, color separation, preflight, offset press, and bindery.
- Project management and leadership skills.
- Ability to manage a variety of staff including art, photo, and production.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders, both inside and outside the organization.
- Knowledge of current publishing technologies and the ability to develop and integrate new strategies in response to changing circumstances and technologies.
- Proficient in problem solving in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly detail-oriented, organized and able to prioritize projects and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, Excel, and Google office programs.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills.
- Experience managing a budget.
- Very good analytical and math skills.
- Experience working with Amazon as a Vendor preferred, but not required.
- Willingness to travel periodically.
Success starts with having the right people. At Internet Brands, we value and mentor each member of our growing team. We seek out talented, goal-oriented professionals who live and breathe the Internet and thrive in a flexible but challenging work environment. Our team of innovators has enabled Internet Brands to sustain high levels of profitability and success while evolving along with the Internet for over 20 years.
At IB, we promote an entrepreneurial, friendly culture that applauds innovation and results while embracing change and independence. Our employees are intensely driven and constantly encouraged to reach higher and use creativity to achieve success – all the while enjoying high levels of collaboration and the luxury of coming to work in jeans and sneakers. We are proud to offer a unique blend of the innovation of a start-up with the history, stability, and benefits of an established corporation.
Internet Brands and its wholly owned affiliates are an equal opportunity employer.