DevOps Engineer - Avvo
Internet Brands and Avvo are changing what it means for consumers to find professional legal help. We're looking for a DevOps Engineer to help us connect people with the legal help they need.
About the Position:
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer who will focus on enhancing the performance and reliability of our cutting-edge application environment with their knowledge of Linux server environments, Docker, and microservice best practices. This position will report to the Platform Technical Project Manager.
The responsibilities of this role include:
- Ensuring up-time for core infrastructure services such as Docker container servers, databases, and continuous deployment tools in testing and production environments.
- Constantly improvements to our development and production deployment processes.
- Helping provide on-call coverage for nights and weekends to ensure 24 hour support for infrastructure issues and problems.
- Building, deploying and maintaining infrastructure services.
- Being able to read and reason about Ruby code to help developers troubleshoot problems. (Ability to read Python, Elixir and Rust code is a strong plus.)
- Working closely with Infrastructure team developers to debug and answer questions related to deployment and infrastructure.
- Prioritizing work and being able to properly allocate effort to between simultaneous initiatives.
To be successful in this position, you must have:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience administering Linux Servers in production.
- Experience running Docker in production.
- Experience with orchestration systems such as Chef, Puppet or Ansible.
- Familiarity with bash scripting.
- Previous experience as a developer, or supporting and working closely with developers, or as a network engineer.
- The ability to maintain and modify Ruby and/or Python scripts.
Ideally you’d also have:
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails.
- Knowledge of any of Solr, Redis, Elasticsearch, My SQL, Kafka, Consul. Vault, Terraform and Packer.
- Experience configuring and administering Kubernetes clusters, especially in production.
About the team:
- We mostly run Ruby on Rails, and have brought in technologies like Elixir, Node, and Rust.
- We're open to using the right technologies for what we build.
- We iterate quickly and ship multiple times a day.
- We’re running an entirely dockerized deployment system, and we’re always making improvements to help our teams ship safer, and more quickly.
- We have a strong tradition of supporting open source software. resque_scheduler, robut, resque_unit, and JSON API client were all extracted from our codebase, and we've contributed patches back to Rails.
Success starts with having the right people. At Internet Brands, we value and mentor each member of our growing team. We seek out talented, goal-oriented professionals who live and breathe the Internet and thrive in a flexible but challenging work environment. Our team of innovators has enabled Internet Brands to sustain high levels of profitability and success while evolving along with the Internet for over 20 years.
At IB, we promote an entrepreneurial, friendly culture that applauds innovation and results while embracing change and independence. Our employees are intensely driven and constantly encouraged to reach higher and use creativity to achieve success – all the while enjoying high levels of collaboration and the luxury of coming to work in jeans and sneakers. We are proud to offer a unique blend of the innovation of a start-up with the history, stability, and benefits of an established corporation.
Internet Brands and its wholly owned affiliates are an equal opportunity employer.