Collections Specialist I
Los Angeles-based Internet Brands is currently seeking an Entry Level Collections Specialist to join our Accounting / Finance Team.
The Collections Specialist will ensure the timely and accurate processing of collection notices and cash application transactions in our accounting records.
- Collect on all outstanding balances from clients in a timely manner.
- Prepare balance summary spreadsheets for parent/child accounts.
- Provide account reconciliations when requested.
- Review account notes and Great Plains screens to ensure accuracy of dollar amounts to be collected.
- Perform follow-up calls and/or send collection notices to collect on outstanding balances.
- Negotiate and work closely with Collection Manager on settlement offers and/or payment plans.
- Interface with Sales with accounts needing a special action taken (credits to be processed, sales forms correction to be made, approval for write-off, adjustments, etc.).
- Proactively escalate pre-suspension alerts to Bus. Ops. due to non-payment of account balances.
- Recommend accounts to be outsourced to the third-party collection agency.
- Responsible for following up on missing checks, credit card issues, misapplied payments and incorrect payment data entry.
- Research overpayments made by clients.
- Assist A/R with researching unapplied cash.
- Attend weekly/biweekly aging meetings with Bus. Ops. on accounts that are 60+ days past due.
- Minimize bad debt exposure by keeping 60+ past due accounts at a minimum.
- 1 year of customer service or data entry experience.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Solid analytical/problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills - being able to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and written.
- Previous collections experience
- Proficiency in Excel.
- Previous accounting experience doing similar work as described.
- College degree in accounting or some secondary educational coursework including at least introductory accounting. Working knowledge of bookkeeping, record keeping and clerical reporting procedures.
- Detail oriented, good work ethic, great communication skills.
- Proficiency in Great Plains and online banking functionality is a plus.
About Internet Brands:
Headquartered in El Segundo, CA., Internet Brands® is a fully integrated online media and software services organization focused on four high-value vertical categories: Health, Automotive, Legal, and Home/Travel. The company's award-winning consumer websites lead their categories and serve more than 250 million monthly visitors, while a full range of web presence offerings has established deep, long-term relationships with SMB and enterprise clients. Internet Brands' powerful, proprietary operating platform provides the flexibility and scalability to fuel the company's continued growth. Internet Brands is a portfolio company of KKR and Temasek. For more information, please visit www.internetbrands.com.
Internet Brands and its wholly-owned affiliates are an equal opportunity employer.