Division General Counsel - Internet Brands Health/WebMD
WebMD, a subsidiary of Internet Brands, is searching for a Division General Counsel to provide a broad range of hands-on legal advice and services in all aspects of the company’s business, in particular, data privacy and security, HIPAA, and complex commercial contracts. The position will report directly to the Internet Brands General Counsel and manage an internal legal team for the WebMD global businesses in a dynamic, high-growth, acquisitive environment.
What You Will Do
- Take an active interest in US and International privacy and security laws, regulations, and enforcement activities, drawing on your experience to translate that knowledge into policy setting and practical advice to senior management and product leadership in digital business models
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide range of commercial contracts including Master Service Agreements, advertising technology contracts, data agreements and software and technology licenses; knowledge of pharmaceutical, health publishing or digital health businesses highly desirable
- Collaborate cross-functionally with business leaders to provide practical legal counsel and advice and effective business and legal solutions on strategic initiatives, including a broad range of privacy and regulatory matters
Who You Are
- Commercially-minded attorney with 12+ years extensive experience in a combination of law firm and in-house experience with a proven ability to manage multiple facets of the legal function in a fast-paced, growth environment
- Strong organizational, analytical, written, and verbal communication skills, providing advice and guidance to senior management across multiple business lines as well as leading external communications with customers, partners and counsel
- Experienced and energetic team leader to manage current team of 7, and who excels at managing, developing and fostering strong team dynamics, working in a highly collaborative environment with Internet Brands legal team and leadership
- True team player who jumps in and tackles new commercial initiatives and constantly looks for ways to improve processes
What You Need to Succeed
- Expert knowledge of U.S.. and international privacy and data protection laws and regulations (e. g., HIPAA, GDPR, CCPA, TCPA) and their application in digital/internet business models
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical, health publishing or digital health businesses highly desirable
- Strong subject matter expertise in multiple legal areas in digital/SaaS, including digital media, data rights, intellectual property, complex commercial agreements, compliance
- Ability to manage and deploy a legal team across multiple geographies
- Flexibility to work across various time zones with business and legal teams and travel as needed
- Licensed to practice law in NJ, NY, CA or other relevant jurisdiction
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our global digital platforms. The WebMD businesses includes WebMD, Medscape, Frontline, Jobson, Univadis, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, Vitals.com, theheart.org, and Medscape Education.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
This position is remote as we are dealing with Covid, but will require a full-time office presence once we return to the office.