Job ID 602
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Supervise general accounting functions in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), not-for-profit accounting guidance, organizational policies and appropriate internal controls. Provide professional accounting business services with primary focus on accounts payable, payroll, wire transfers, corporate credit card, and corporate travel program.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Honesty, Integrity, Listener, Leadership, Team builder, Positivity and Flexibility.
Responsibilities & Deliverables:A. General Accounting Responsibilities (50%)
- Provide direct supervision to accounts payable and payroll personnel.
- Determine staffing needs by analyzing workflows, needed outputs and projected deadlines.
- Coach team members & complete performance evaluations.
- Ensure that balance sheet accounts are maintained, analyzed, and reconciled on a monthly basis with all issues reviewed and resolved in a timely manner. Perform analysis and calculations relating to accounting transactions.
- Reconcile accounts monthly.
- Process weekly Accounts Payable and General Ledger transactions.
- Process & post all wires.
- Post all journal entries received by AP.
- Backup the AP and Payroll department with responsibilities necessary to process weekly AP Payments and bi-weekly Payroll.
- Manage Corporate credit card account.
- Manage corporate card users and spend amounts.
- Manage Corporate Travel program.
- Manage travel program.
- Perform analysis of program.
- Assist employees with the online tool.
- Troubleshoot and assist with issues between Heifer and travel provider.
- Formulates strategies and designs innovative solutions to resolve issues/conflicts for complex Accounts Payable projects.
- Prepare an annual strategic and working plan.
- Risk Management of Outflows of Resources across organization worldwide. Ensure compliance with organizational policies and internal control framework.
- Follow the Expense Policy and Procedures
- Regularly keep updated with commercial law and regulation.
- Serve as subject matter expert within organization for all payment or payroll transactions.
- Collaborate in the development of global training resources.
- Develop desk manuals, systems and procedures in support of global accounting policies.
- Provide ongoing assistance and training to country office staff and Global Finance Operations staff.
- Create or update training manuals and processes.
- Support the development, implementation and maintenance of global financial systems.
- Manage and Monitor the Accounts Payable and Payroll flow thru the ERP system.
- Support implementation of Procurement module.
- Implement automated workflow approval for General Ledger journal entries.
- Support roll-out of QuickChecks for country offices.
- Facilitate data collection and reporting in support of the annual audit by independent external auditors.
- Complete, timely, and accurate completion of PBC tasks
- Provides technical advice on Accounts Payable activities to HQ and Country Offices.
- Support the organization as Agresso Accounts Payable subject matter expert.
- Write memorandum with specific recommendation.
- Follow up with meeting if necessary.
- Engage with Finance, Risk Management, and Legal teams to ensure strong and effective internal controls throughout the general accounting processes and systems.
- Identifies new technologies, and products/services, evaluates and recommends potential supply sources and participates in the incorporation of research results into the procurement program.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to determine Accounts Payable or Payroll needs, quality, and delivery requirements
- Bachelor's degree plus seven (7) years of related experience.
- At least three (3) years in a supervisory or leadership capacity.
- Master in Business Administration or Licensed as Certified Public Accountant.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Auditing Standards (GAAS); demonstrated ability to research and apply critical-thinking in the identification. Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting (FASB ASC 958), finance and management practices, as well as regulatory compliance issues and reporting requirements.
- Skill with a variety of computerized accounting systems Unit 4 experience a plus
- Knowledge of management principles and practices.
- Knowledge of administrative systems and internal controls.
- Skill at problem solving and troubleshooting.
- Skill at producing accurate and detailed information.
- Skill at communicating information to all levels of personnel, including management.
- Ability to determine proper accounting treatment of transactions.
- Advanced English writing skills required for effective documentation, communication, reporting, and policy and procedure development.
- Spanish speaking and writing skills a plus
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, database and electronic mail software (Microsoft preferred).
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally and adequate physical condition necessary to project sites in rural areas.
- Ability to prepare and present documents and reports with superior attention to detail to a wide-ranging audience.
- Strong interpersonal skills in change environment with ability to tactfully challenge the status quo, and effectively influence improvement.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
- Ability to assign and evaluate the work of direct reports.
- Ability to combine effective team leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff.
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and to gender equity.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
The expected base salary range for this position is $75k to $95k USD annually. Placement within the range will be based on the competency level of the candidate:
Minimum: Entry level, meets minimum qualifications. Needs guidance and training to perform key responsibilities of the job
Midpoint: Experienced and fully competent. Can independently perform all responsibilities of the job
Maximum: Highly experienced and can perform at a higher level than expected
**Disclaimer: Salary ranges are based on country location and local country salary scales.
WHAT WE OFFER:
Heifer International offers a variety of benefits for U.S. based employees working 30 or more hours per week.
- Health and wellness benefits including Flexible Spending Account and/or Health Saving Account
- Employee assistance program
- 403(b) retirement plan (match 1% employee to 2% employer up to a maximum of 4% match + 3% employer discretionary contribution regardless of employee contribution)
- 22 vacation days in addition to 12 statutory and discretionary holidays, and 10 sick days per year
- Employer-paid life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D)
- Professional development and annual merit increase opportunities
- Optional critical illness insurance, legal assistance plan and pet protection