Senior EPC Project Planner/Scheduler
EPMA is seeking qualified candidates to be considered for the position of Senior Planner / Scheduler in our Business Consulting practice.
Location: Houston- Need to be onsite (77027)- Good to be in Houston
North Carolina/ Remote US- Occasional remote.
Occasional travel to east coast may be required.
Chemical Industry experience is a MUST.
This role is responsible for assisting EPMA clients as a proactive Owner’s Representative in planning and scheduling of medium size capital projects ($50MM - $200MM). These projects are typically brownfield, with an integration into large existing chemical plants during major turnarounds. The role would be ideally suited to planner/schedulers who have full project lifecycle experience, but have an emphasis on engineering and procurement. Candidates must have held at least one Lead Planner role, and be comfortable running multi-discipline planning sessions.
The primary objectives for this role are to:
- Develop and manage a master schedule for the overall implementation of each capital project, with a roll-up and KPI reporting of the EPC schedule, the Commissioning & Start-Up schedule, and the Turnaround Maintenance schedule. The EPC, CSU and TAR maintenance schedules are provided by other planner / schedulers.
- Provide an interface between the EPC contractor, the operating plant and various corporate functions involved in the project. As such, a good understanding is needed of:
- EPC project schedules through the entire project lifecycle, with an in-depth focus on engineering and procurement activities. A good understanding of construction activities is also needed, preferably gained from following projects from Engineering through to Construction, Commissioning and Start-up.
- An understanding of early project activities through Appraise and Select stages would also be useful, for early project planning activities where appropriate.
- Provide proactive planning and problem solving capabilities to develop realistic schedules, forecast where issues may cause delays, and develop solutions to keep the project on track for completion during the assigned turnaround dates.
- Significant construction experience and strong communications skills are needed for this role to:
- Develop a detailed construction schedule, working closely with the plant and with contractors in an Owner’s representative role.
- Coordinate the project activities with a major 4 week turnaround, so that both maintenance and project teams work efficiently together.
- Provide appropriate updates into the Master Schedule, so that the Management Steering Team is kept up to date.
The candidate will be knowledgeable around constructing and commissioning capital projects during turnarounds, so that the construction schedule can be seamlessly integrated with commissioning and start-up activities, as well as integration with a turnaround maintenance program.
Superior analytical and quantitative skills and strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential for this position, as well as a balanced mix of engineering / corporate office and field experience. The position is Houston-based, with travel to Client sites as needed.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Lead the creation and implementation of the Master Schedule.
- Perform interactive planning sessions with all relevant parties (such as the EPC contractor, Corporate Owner, Process Engineering specialists and Plant Operations) to define schedule requirements and work sequences in Select, Define and Execute stages.
- Provide a resource loaded and leveled project schedule which clearly identifies critical path and float areas. Work with subcontractors to integrate their performance schedules into the master schedule.
- Develop and maintain regular scheduling reporting to senior management, including but not limited to look-ahead schedules, Manpower, Earned Value Reporting, Key Commodity Tracking, Project KPI Dashboarding, and client reports as required. Monitor, collect and enter progress on a regular basis for the project, with assurance reviews to ensure realistic progress is being captured.
- Lead project schedule reviews and drive communication to project leadership when risk areas are identified, with appropriate mitigation plans to assure on time delivery.
- Perform ongoing schedule analysis, critical path analysis, earned value analysis, risk analysis reporting, evaluate, and recommend schedule improvements and opportunities.
- Support the project team by providing clear visibility on status and schedule.
- Provide guidance and support to other planning / scheduling staff as required.
Skills / Qualifications / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and/or exceptional, relevant work experience required. A combination of Owner and EPC Contractor experience would be ideal.
- 15 years+ of demonstrated Lead planning/scheduling experience.
- 15 years of experience in planning medium sized capital projects ($50MM - $200MM+) in oil, gas or chemicals (or related process industry). This experience should specifically include engineering and procurement, with specific examples of integrating capital projects into existing operating process plants during maintenance turnarounds. Experience should emphasize engineering / corporate office experience, but be balanced with field experience during Construction, Commissioning and Start-up.
- Excellent understanding of Project Planning, Earned Value Management and Key Commodity Tracking.
- Excellent skills in project planning software, such as P6 and/or MS Project
• Very Good understanding of engineering and construction projects.
• Very Good ability to understand project scope, project schedule objectives and developing/maintaining various schedule requirements.
• Very Good understanding of project estimates and have the ability to implement the elements of estimate into project schedules.
• Very Good understanding of the basic principles of Project Management.
- Good understanding of Process Plant Operations and Turnarounds.
- Good general understanding of Cost Management, Planning and Change Control.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
HOW YOU'LL GROW AT EPMA
We believe in the investment of our people. Strong client results and company growth is a direct result of our focus on personal growth for every single employee. With regular reviews and measurable development plans, we help you focus on the skills and knowledge you need to succeed. From on-the-job learning to professional development programs, we help you to grow throughout your career and ready you for the opportunities that lie ahead.
BE INSPIRED our 10 core values are at the forefront of everything we do. We take pride in investing in the development of our people, because they are part of the EPMA family and DNA. Call us old fashioned, but we believe in building talent, and we take pride in preparing our future leaders and innovators. You will find a fun, exciting and rewarding career at EPMA.
Since 2010, EPMA has quickly earned credibility as a trusted leader in Project and Portfolio Management Services helping local businesses to Global 50 companies deliver projects with greater efficiency and success. Our ability to attract the most talented people and empower them to make a difference for our clients is part of what makes EPMA one of the Top Companies to work for in Texas, and one of the Best and Brightest companies to work for in the nation. We are also on the Inc. 5000 list as one of the fastest growing, privately held companies in America today.
EPMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassments of Any Kind: EPMA is made up of a very diverse group of individuals representing a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. At EPMA, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our services and our community. EPMA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
***** EMPLOYMENT RECRUITING FRAUD ALERT *****
EPMA is aware of several instances of employment recruiting fraud, and we have reached out to the proper authorities to try to put a stop to these scams.
Please know that any correspondence from EPMA will come ONLY from an @epmainc.com or @jobvite.com email addresses, we do not conduct interviews in chat rooms, we do not use personal, gmail, Hotmail or such email addresses, text messages, we would never solicit money from a potential candidate, and we would not request sensitive personal information like bank account and social security numbers via email or during an interview.
If you feel you’ve been a victim of employment recruiting fraud and are at risk of identity theft, click here for additional steps to report the issue and/ or protect yourself. You can also file a complain with the Internet Crime Complaint Center.
Please read a press release on Job applicant PII fraud from the FBI.