Product Innovation Scientist
Cronos Group is an innovative global cannabinoid company with international production and distribution across five continents. Cronos Group is committed to building disruptive intellectual property by advancing cannabis research, technology and product development. With a passion to responsibly elevate the consumer experience, Cronos Group is building an iconic brand portfolio. Cronos Group’s portfolio includes PEACE NATURALS™, a global health and wellness platform, two adult-use brands, COVE™ and Spinach™, and two hemp-derived CBD brands, Lord Jones™ and Happy Dance™. At Cronos Group, we hire talented people who thrive on solving difficult problems and give them the opportunity to hone new skills and approaches. If you want to play a part in shaping an innovative industry and help build a historically significant company, we want to meet you.
As the Product Innovation Scientist, you will be responsible for designing and executing internal technology pipeline initiatives related to next generation product development. The Product Innovation Scientist will work closely with other members of the R&D team and product development team to drive product technologies forward from concept to validation. There is a key emphasis on conducting experimental work in an innovative manner, helping optimize current products and delivering future innovation. The ideal candidate must be highly motivated, an excellent communicator/collaborator and able to work as part of a team and at a fast pace.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with R&D teams to research and discover solutions through hands on, benchtop experimentation Design and conduct internal product technology experiments and prototypes for cannabis product technologies (this includes all product technologies for pre-roll products, edible products, and cannabis concentrate products).
- Work with external partners and suppliers to test and evaluate product technologies from cannabis or adjacent industries and academia
- Collect, organize and analyze data from experiments to present to the cross-functional teams
- Maintain inventory of raw materials (cannabis and non-cannabis) used in cannabis formulations and preparation
- Submitting internal and external lab samples for required testing
- Conduct process development experiments, tech-transfer and supporting scaleup; working closely with 3rd party vendors, internal R&D and engineering teams
- Support and validate technology through sensory panels; support panelists in answering formal descriptive analysis and/or consumer sensory aspects of product technologies
- Up to 30% travel to and from global Cronos Group Facilities, 3rd party contract manufacturers, and other remote locations for product innovation purposes, technical consultations, and manufacturing scale-up, optimization and troubleshooting, as required
- General housekeeping and cleaning of product development space, equipment, and tools
- Able to work in varying temperatures
- Able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Overtime as required Frequent time spent in the laboratory, standing, bending, crouching
- Fast-paced environment
- Minimum undergraduate degree in science or related field
- 4 plus years of experience in innovation, technology assessment and product development
- Experience working within the cannabis industry strongly preferred
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills. Must be able to establish and maintain effective, cooperative working relationships with local and remote teams
- Independent worker. Must be comfortable with understanding objectives, then working independently to achieve them, seeking input from the rest of the team as needed
- Must have proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel)