Perception Team Lead - Localization and Mapping
Position: Perception Team Lead - Localization and Mapping
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent
Experience: 5-10 Years Relevant Work Experience
Education: Graduate Degree in a related field
Division: OTTO Motors
About OTTO Motors, a division of Clearpath Robotics
At OTTO Motors, we believe material handling is one of the most dangerous and unproductive parts of modern industrial operations. Our mission is to create safer, more productive and fulfilling workplaces with autonomous material handling technology. Most recently, OTTO Motors was recognized among the top 1% of Canada’s highest-performing global private companies by Communitech. Our loyal customers are also the most recognizable brands in the world and trust OTTO Motors to fulfill their mission-critical material handling needs: General Electric, Toyota, Hershey, Caterpillar, Berry Global, and more. For more information about us, visit www.ottomotors.com.
About the Job
We're looking for a driven, resourceful, motivated candidate for the Perception Team Lead position. This person will lead a team of developers to create and maintain the next generation of perception algorithms to tackle the toughest challenges in localization and mapping, state estimation, computer vision and more.
The localization and mapping team’s primary responsibility is the development of the core robotics software responsible for environmental perception, mapping and localization on all our vehicles. You will be responsible for evaluating state-of-the-art ideas from academia and industry, and taking these ideas out of the lab and into the real world, identifying opportunities to improve, and developing high-performance software to run in real time on the robots. As part of the perception team you will continue to advance the cutting edge of robotics research through collaboration with our academic partners and contributions to research publications and open source initiatives.
For the role of Perception Team Lead we are seeking an experienced developer and leader to drive the development of state-of-the-art localization and mapping solutions for real world applications.
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Lead a team of exceptional perception developers to create robust innovative solutions to the problems of robotic perception
- Development of custom SLAM, localization, computer vision, and perception algorithms
- Evaluation of new algorithms and sensing technology
- Assisting with concept development for new products and projects
- Supporting deployment and testing of robotic systems
- Supervising and mentoring team members
- Collaboration with internal teams including controls and navigation, as well as academic and industrial partners
- Stay up to the date with the latest developments from academia and industry
Skills and experience:
- Graduate degree in engineering/CS or a related field
- Practical and theoretical knowledge in at least one or more areas of: state estimation, computer vision, SLAM, localization, mapping, or sensor modeling.
- Strong software development skills in modern C++
- Understanding of software development workflows, life cycles and development methodologies and tools.
- Excellent leadership, teamwork, and communication skills
- Ability to independently develop software development plans, including scope, timelines, resource estimates, and test procedures.
Bonus points for:
- Hands-on experience with real world autonomous systems
- Experience with leading software development teams.
- Experience writing efficient, high performance code
- ROS, Gazebo, OpenCV and PCL experience
- Familiarity with graph optimization techniques and libraries
- Understanding of sensor error modeling, particularly laser rangefinders and vision systems
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, gender identity/expression, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.